If an SSD crashes/dies/fails, can information on it be recovered?

AfirAwesome

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I feel that if info can't be recovered from a dead SSD, then there would be a lot of ticked off consumers having to buy Win7 over again. Also, if an SSD crashes and I get it replaced, how can I move info onto the new one?

Solution
As the old saying goes; if you do not have your information in at least 3 physical locations then you really dont care about it. Drives die, it is a fact of life. It is true that it is much harder to recover data from an SSD, but there have been quite a few strides in that area, so it is not as doomed as it once was.
That being said; NEVER EVER EVER EVER save your working files to your system drive!

If you are doing anything important at all then invest in a 2nd mechanical HDD for things like your documents, photos, and video. Then back up that information on DVD, as well as an external HDD. I have all of my important files in multiple locations. They live on my computer, my netbook, my wife's computer, and recently I added a...
As the old saying goes; if you do not have your information in at least 3 physical locations then you really dont care about it. Drives die, it is a fact of life. It is true that it is much harder to recover data from an SSD, but there have been quite a few strides in that area, so it is not as doomed as it once was.
That being said; NEVER EVER EVER EVER save your working files to your system drive!

If you are doing anything important at all then invest in a 2nd mechanical HDD for things like your documents, photos, and video. Then back up that information on DVD, as well as an external HDD. I have all of my important files in multiple locations. They live on my computer, my netbook, my wife's computer, and recently I added a space on the 'cloud'. I am building a home server too (though that project is stalled while waiting for HDD prices to drop a bit), and when that is finished then it will be the primary save location for everything, and I will do periodic backups of the important files on DVD and cloud (no more local bulk storage for me! Woot!).

Also, if an HDD crashes you can still install your old copy of Windows on a new machine. My computer has gone through 3 system drives over the life of win7 (upgrades, not crashes), and has never once complained about things being re-installed or re-registered. And even if it does complain all you have to do is call them up with the number provided during the error on install and explain what is going on. I have found them to be more than generous back in the early XP days when I would reformat every 3-6 months.

So ya. Keep an image of your system drive handy, and update it every year. Keep both a backup (image), as well as copies of your files (not programs) in multiple locations, and keep one of those locations out of the house in the event of a fire or other accident. Then you will never (or at least make it very unlikely to) loose a file.

Solution

AfirAwesome

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
So, if I install windows 7 and a few games onto an SSD, and it crashes, all I have to do is reinstall them? I thought that the OEM disk was only one-use (one computer at a time), but it would make sense to be able to reinstall it. ;)
I do have a clickfree backup device that I'll use when I build the computer, but I don't have a mechanical drive ATM (I'm waiting for a good sale due to the flooding), so my files will be safe.

TRENDING THREADS