BREAD BOARDING question.

TinCan

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Hey everyone.

I'm about to assemble a new build and I am going to bread board the build before I put it in the case. I've read some good threads here about this and still have some questions. Oh, and I've never done this before.

Is it safe to place the motherboard on the bag the MB came in? Some folks say yes and some say no. One person said he'd seen more boards ruined doing this than any other way. Seems like it would be OK but I'm not sure now.

Is it safe to place the MB directly on a rubber mat on a wooden table? That's what I'm thinking of doing.

There must be that one sure fired safe way to do this and that's what I'm looking for. I'd like to hear how some of you do it.

Thanks

TegGhola

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Well, I've had motherboards and GPUs on the anti-static bag (from which they came) and on hard wooden tables, and it's not done my builds any harm.

I think, so long as the surface is inert, flat and room temperature, that it's more important what you're wearing / touching than the work surface. If you're dancing in a cold, dry room while wearing velour, your build is doomed.

I am pretty sure that I started the breadboarding threads:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/262730-31-breadboarding

I have used a wooden cutting board, a nylon cutting board, an Oblivion hint book :), and an antistatic bag with no problems. The anti-static bag has a very high resistance, high enough to drain static, but much too high to interfere with the functioning of the motherboard.

I was at a friend's house when we built an i7 system on the motherboard box and antistatic bag.

And although I do not wear antistatic gloves, I do wear clothes. :D

TinCan

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Well, I think I'll give the wooden board a try, and keep my clothes on for the build (too cold here, otherwise why not? lol). I

will not dance nor wear velour, at least not during the build. Possibly after if all goes well :).

jsc, I read your thread before I posted and it is what interested me in bread boarding the build. In the photo it appears that

the MB is placed directly on the board. Am I seeing that right, no anti-static bag between the MB and the wood? As your

photo shows I was going to just place everything on the kitchen table, test , then put it all in the case. Any other

suggestions?

And thanks to all.

My Build

OS Windows 7 Pro
ASUS Rampage II Extreme
IC i7-920
SSDX1 OCZ Vertex Series Turbo 120GB
HDDX3 Samsung HD502HJ 500GB
VIDEOX2 XFX HD 5850 Black Edition
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 3X2GB DDR3
PSU CORSAIR HX850W
LITEON 8X Blu-ray Reader & DVD/CD writer