Motherboard and Processor Replacement- Re-install Win7?

esuckq

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Hi All,

I'm replacing my motherboard with another of the same chipset (AMD 785G + SB710) but different manufacturer (AsRock to Gigabyte). Basically I just built the system with the AsRock, but fancy the ALC889 audio codec on the Gigabyte board; as I'm now building my wife a new computer, I thought I'd give her the AsRock and use the Gigabyte in my system. I'm also upgrading processor in my PC from the Athlon II x4 620 to the 630.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64x. Will it be a simple case of swapping out the board and processor, booting up and reinstalling any manufacturer-specific drivers, or am I likely to need a full reinstall. I've read that Win7 doesn't allow a repair install as would have been the case in XP.

System Specs:
Old mobo: AsRock M3A785GXH/128m
New mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA785GT-UD3H
Old CPU: Athlon II x4 620
New CPU: Athlon II x4 630
RAM: 2x2GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 1333Mhz
GPU: Powercolor Radeon 4870 1Gb
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 640Gb

Any thoughts / advice appreciated.

Thanks

Same chipset? You have a pretty good chance of not having to reinstall the OS. I'd say better than 50-50.

But you might need to reinstall. Back up everything first, just in case.

ulysses35

Distinguished
best option (have done this myself a few years back) is to uninstall the drivers on your current OS install / mobo and then shut down.

Install the new mobo and then chuck in the new mobo driver CD. I tried this with an old LGA775 Nvidia chipset then upgrading to a P$% based board.

It is possible....