Random reboot stops at BIOS screen

beergeeksnob

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
For the last week or so, without any hardware or software changes (other than Microsoft auto updates) my PC will either freeze or reboot randomly. If it freezes, my only recourse is to power it down or hit the reset button. If it reboots, it often hangs on the BIOS screen, and I have to power down or reset. I removed the cover and cleaned out the dust. After I reapplied power and rebooted, the windows system clock was set to January 2007. Any ideas to the problem?

Solution
If the system clock is reset, that's a good indication that the BIOS was reset to default. So you may have a dead CMOS battery. Or else a corrupted BIOS. Either one of those could also have caused freezing if your RAM is anything other than standard-issue voltage -- if the system "forgets" the correct setting, undervoltage on RAM is a major cause of system freezing.

So to fix this, first thing I'd try is replacing that battery on your motherboard, plus downloading the latest BIOS and mobo drivers from the manufacturer.

Now, that's just the simplest thing that could be wrong, mind you (which is why I'd try it first). There's also a good chance you're having a power supply problem, and next guess after that would be RAM.
If the system clock is reset, that's a good indication that the BIOS was reset to default. So you may have a dead CMOS battery. Or else a corrupted BIOS. Either one of those could also have caused freezing if your RAM is anything other than standard-issue voltage -- if the system "forgets" the correct setting, undervoltage on RAM is a major cause of system freezing.

So to fix this, first thing I'd try is replacing that battery on your motherboard, plus downloading the latest BIOS and mobo drivers from the manufacturer.

Now, that's just the simplest thing that could be wrong, mind you (which is why I'd try it first). There's also a good chance you're having a power supply problem, and next guess after that would be RAM.

Solution

beergeeksnob

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Thanks, capt_taco. I did run the RAM diagnostic from microsoft and no failures were found. I did not reset the BIOS clock and it appears to be okay. Could the BIOS clock be okay while the O/S clock got reset, or are they both the same? I will get a new battery and check for drivers tomorrow. Hopefully that will be THE cheap fix.

beergeeksnob

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
I changed out the CMOS battery, then the box would not power up at all. Which led me to believe it was the power supply the whole time. So I replaced the power supply and everything is good. Thanks for the suggestions, capt_taco.