Your question

Sound cards: not dead?

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Components
Last response: in Components
February 26, 2010 2:52:09 AM

Quote:
The ability to upgrade PC hardware has long been one of the platform's most appealing aspects. Memory and storage can be slotted in at will. Even CPU upgrades are no longer the rocket science they once were. So what's happened to the soundcard? When did they become so scarce and why?

We already had some ideas of our own. The switch from XP to Vista then Windows 7 seemed to play its part. Integrated audio is looking pretty good these days, too. To confirm our speculation, we spoke to a panel of industry experts; bigwigs in the world of PC audio production. They paint a picture of an industry that's very far from being sent to the knackers' yard. In fact, it's looking healthier than ever.

Something real or wishful thinking? Source

More about : sound cards dead

February 26, 2010 2:59:58 AM

Soundcards arent as popular like it said onboards have come a long way, but soundcards still have there niche audiophiles and extreme gamers are out there buying up couple hundred dollar soundcards far more then people think. I have been looking for a better upgrade to my x fi card i got now so the market is still defiantly there still and until onboards have better eax support and headphone amps soundcards are still in demand.
February 26, 2010 5:10:20 AM

No onboard sound chip provides what my x-fi does: the ability to locate a sniper only by hearing using headphones in BF2... :D 
Related resources
February 26, 2010 7:41:29 AM

andyKCIUK said:
No onboard sound chip provides what my x-fi does: the ability to locate a sniper only by hearing using headphones in BF2... :D 

:)  I bought this card (X-fi titanium) + fatality Headset for that :D 
Or locate the tank or other thing when you is hiding behind a tree or house in BF2142 or BF2 :whistle: 

February 26, 2010 11:29:48 AM

andyKCIUK said:
No onboard sound chip provides what my x-fi does...
Agreed! I bought the low end X-Fi Extreme Gamer and it is way better than the onboard C-Media sound.

My only real issue with onboard sound has been driver support and electronic noise. After market cards like M-Audio, HT Omega, and Auzetech seem to put more effort into quality drivers.
!