Keep frying hard drives on start up

G

Hiya

Have attempted to build a pc from scratch, all was good till i lost my first hard drive , then second , then third hard drive...
and for additional test purposes a 4th.
initial thought a setting issue in bios but used my other pc to verify the state of the drives...dead.

The drives seem to fry striaght off the bat , and one started to smell, but had a cold so noticed a bit to late.

I bought a fairly decent psu... corsair modular 850, a gigabyte P55-US3L mobo , and a i5 quad core.
I using a zalman case with a caddie for 3 drives and a fan at back of caddie,the caddie use a 4 pin to distribute power to each drive.

I tested another harddrive before placing in the new build and then too it out and its was fried.
Is it the PSU , or do i have i dodgy motherboard. Any help/hint would be much apprieciated.

thanks

Yingo

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008

That, and it will fry the PSU and blow the internal fuse if the switch was in the wrong place, meaning he wouldn't have had the chance to fry a second drive, let alone 4.

Make sure no metal is touching the circuit board of the drives when mounted, if something is shorting out then that is the problem, otherwise, its likely the motherboard. Unless the power connector you were using is wired improperly, you should try using the power connector for your DVD drive to try powering on of the drives, as that would rule out the powersupply. Good luck!