Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best ~225 SSD for OS, ~2 games, and office.

Last response: in Storage
November 26, 2011 9:22:27 PM

Hey guys, I need some advice.

I would love to get a SSD, preferably ~120gb's or so. I was considering this one and was wondering what you thought (Samsung 830 128gb)
I was also wondering if you guys thought 64gb's would do me. I would like to put BF3 and COD4 (laugh at me if you want for still playing that game) and office 2010. I've got 8gb's of RAM so I could turn down/off page file, and I never use hibernate so I could delete that. If I went 64gb because it was viable, what would you recommend. The 64gb version of the Samsung? Oh and I will be buying mid-december, and don't like rebates. (If there is one I'll send it in, but it has to be ~225 at time of purchase not after rebate.)

Edit: Oh and if I get an SSD, I would most likely do a fresh install. Would there be any way though to keep all of my game data though so I could restore my level and everything? I downloaded some games off steam too. Would I have to re-download those?

More about : 225 ssd games office

November 27, 2011 8:07:47 PM

I'm suprised. I thought people at Tom's knew everything.
m
l
Related resources
November 27, 2011 9:37:29 PM

dontqqnub said:
Best performance with large capacity go with this, You save $50 so I couldn't find anything that is better price/performance/capacity wise.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

From reviews at various websites I've heard a couple things.

1. OCZ drives often BSOD and have lots of reliability issues.
2. synchronous NAND kicks asynchronous NAND's butt
3. Sandforce controllers aren't really good because performance takes a huge hit with any type of non-compressible data.

If those are true, than wouldn't it be better to spend extra and get a Samsung or Intel? I would rather take the reliability route with worse performance than max performance with crappy reliability. With that being said I do want good performance. If I'm wrong at all on these 3 things please tell me! I'm just trying to spend my money wisely.

I was strongly considering these, even though they are slightly more than I would prefer to spend. Longevity and reliability are most important to me. Here is what I was considering.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or the 64gb edition if it's enough (doubtful it's enough)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or I could get two 64gb editions for less (one for os and the other for whatever I want that fits :)  )
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (even though it's older how would performance compare for running an os to a newer SSD?0
and last not but not least http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... I don't think it's gonna fit in my budget but what do you think?

Thanks for any and all advice, as I've never had an SSD before :D 

Oh and can anyone comment about space needed, and if I do a fresh install keeping my game levels/things the same?

m
l

Best solution

Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 27, 2011 10:20:41 PM

Quote:
I was strongly considering these, even though they are slightly more than I would prefer to spend. Longevity and reliability are most important to me.

Crucial M4
November 27, 2011 10:27:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I was strongly considering these, even though they are slightly more than I would prefer to spend. Longevity and reliability are most important to me.

Crucial M4

Thanks for your reply!
Would you choose it above the Samsung because it's been around longer, with a great record? Thanks!
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 27, 2011 10:34:15 PM

Yes, since the C300's I have heard only good things about them and for the M4's as well, only thing their only short coming is their performance relative to the other brands. This can be overlooked because they have relatively no issues. Also I got an M4 for a business computer for its no hassle reliability.
m
l
November 27, 2011 11:19:52 PM

Looking at anandtech's review, there really isn't a decisive winner between the two. So I should take the higher 4kb random one which happens to be the M4. That pretty much decides it for me! Thanks.
m
l
November 28, 2011 12:31:34 AM

Would someone still answer one of my original questions?
Quote:
Oh and if I get an SSD, I would most likely do a fresh install. Would there be any way though to keep all of my game data though so I could restore my level and everything? I downloaded some games off steam too. Would I have to re-download those?

If I get this answered I will be a happy camper. Would it be smarter to open a new thread somewhere else for this question?

This'll be with a Crucial M4 as of this post. I will spend the extra to get more space and a little better performance.

Thanks!
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 28, 2011 12:44:37 AM

With steam you can do a backup of your games so you dont have to redownload them. Just right click a game from the list and click "backup game files", and follow the steps.

Other games, wait for other answers or post it else where if you would like, but for the saves, many would be under \Documents\My Games so you can copy those as well.
m
l
November 28, 2011 12:52:54 AM

Quote:
With steam you can do a backup of your games so you dont have to redownload them. Just right click a game from the list and click "backup game files", and follow the steps.

Other games, wait for other answers or post it else where if you would like, but for the saves, many would be under \Documents\My Games so you can copy those as well.

Thank you so much! You have been so helpful! I will wait for other answers, and if none come your my "best answer".
m
l
November 29, 2011 12:36:24 AM

Quote:

Looked up the /Documents/Games folder. It has most of the games. My question was about the steam games, as none of the downloaded ones showed up there. When I back up the Steam Games, does that save levels in multiplayer and everything? Oh and BF3 doesn't show up. Is my level saved on the cloud with Origin/Battlelog?
m
l
Anonymous
a b G Storage
November 29, 2011 4:15:46 AM

Quote:
When I back up the Steam Games, does that save levels in multiplayer and everything?

Hmm, i think that would either be in your save or in a cloud.

Quote:
Oh and BF3 doesn't show up. Is my level saved on the cloud with Origin/Battlelog?

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2206172

Quote:
multiplayer is 100% based on the servers you have no access to it at all.
as it would casue tampering if people could.

for single player
BF3 is fully cloud supported. choose cloud in Origin and it will be backed up to the cloud.

There probably is a save file on the computer somewhere which you can backup if you like, but with the cloud i guess its unnecessary. Check thread link
m
l
December 5, 2011 11:55:22 PM

Best answer selected by raptorxrx.
m
l
!