Toshiba Tecra 8000 overheating

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 9, 2004 4:04:16 PM

I have a Toshiba Tecra 8000 notebook and I think it's suffering from
overheating. How can I tell that it's overheating? I came to this
conclusion because the notebook occasionally shuts off with the ac
power plugged in. The buttom of the notebook gets really really hot.

What are some of the signs that can tell you that the notebook is
overheating and what are some of the solutions you can take to make it
not overheat?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 9, 2004 7:24:06 PM

Jerry Lewis wrote:
> I have a Toshiba Tecra 8000 notebook and I think it's suffering from
> overheating. How can I tell that it's overheating? I came to this
> conclusion because the notebook occasionally shuts off with the ac
> power plugged in. The buttom of the notebook gets really really hot.
>
> What are some of the signs that can tell you that the notebook is
> overheating and what are some of the solutions you can take to make it
> not overheat?

Get a can of compressed gas dust cleaner at a computer store. Blow out
the cooling system from the exhaust ports, thoroughly. This should
offer some relief. Get the trial version of hmonitor.exe (google).
Monitor the CPU temp for a while to become accustomed to how it varies.
Monitor during a disk defrag. If the temp exceeds 160F (or 55C), then
you should open the case and remove any fibers, etc, blocking the inlet
to the heat exhanger (or send for warranty service).
[This assumes a heat pipe cooling system].

If the Toshiba power panel (not the XP power settings) has a "quiet
mode" or "CPU throttle" setting, try that. This will interrupt
processor cycles to mimic a reduced CPU frequency at high temperatures.

a b D Laptop
July 10, 2004 12:24:14 AM

Jerry Lewis wrote:

> What are some of the signs that can tell you that the notebook is
> overheating

Excess heat, the sound of the fans coming on, and finally shutdown. Do
you hear the fans coming on? If not, there's the source of your
problem, either dead fans or dead thermistor that would turn on the fans.

> and what are some of the solutions you can take to make it
> not overheat?

Try not to run the computer with a fully depleted battery; let the
battery charge with the computer off.

Lower the processor speed.

Disconnect hi-power PC Card and USB devices.

Allow the computer turn off unused devices.

Set the fans to run all the time (power option in the BIOS)

Turn down the backlight.

Make sure you're using the correct AC Adapter, and that it is providing
the correct voltage.

lycka till!
GTr
- -
http://www.preservestoughton.org/
a b D Laptop
July 10, 2004 1:28:55 AM

Hi Quaoar,

160deg Fahrenheit is approximately 71.1deg Celsius. My HP Pavilion zd7010us, running a 2.66GHz Pentium IV under load for more
than 15 minutes runs about 67deg Celsius with no shutdown or erratic behavior.

Also, might I recommend MobileMeter ( http://tinyurl.com/3et5s ). I have found that hmonitor does not run on as many different
laptops as MobileMeter.

Ciao . . . C.Joseph

That which a man buys too cheaply . . .
He esteems too lightly

Quaoar wrote:
> Get a can of compressed gas dust cleaner at a computer store. Blow out
> the cooling system from the exhaust ports, thoroughly. This should
> offer some relief. Get the trial version of hmonitor.exe (google).
> Monitor the CPU temp for a while to become accustomed to how it varies.
> Monitor during a disk defrag. If the temp exceeds 160F (or 55C), then
> you should open the case and remove any fibers, etc, blocking the inlet
> to the heat exhanger (or send for warranty service).
> [This assumes a heat pipe cooling system].
>
> If the Toshiba power panel (not the XP power settings) has a "quiet
> mode" or "CPU throttle" setting, try that. This will interrupt
> processor cycles to mimic a reduced CPU frequency at high temperatures.

March 1, 2011 2:04:04 AM

Hi

Symptoms of over heating:
1) Fan runs continuously
2) base of machine gets hot
3) system shuts down and displays an overheating warning on the front LED indicator display (Below the keyboard)

Possible corrective action:
1) clean dust and debris from inside the unit, and inside the CPU cooling assembly
2) inspect the fan for wear and damage
3) the thermal pad between the CPU and CPU cooling assembly may be missing or damaged, or the cooling assembly, thermal pad, and CPU cooling assembly may have separated from each other. Note the pad is fragile and may break/tear if you dismantle this assembly.
4) the main battery may be overheating
5) the air vents in the case my be blocked or obstructed
6) the thermal sensor may be damaged, or electrically faulty, or in the wrong position relative to what it is thermally measuring.
7) The components in the thermal monitoring circuit on the motherboard PCB may have shifted in value with age preventing the fans from activating at the right thermal levels.
8) Install a "PC HEALTH" application and monitor the CPU temperature
9) check that the external power supply is not supplying an excessive voltage under load conditions.

All in all the advice is: Inspect, clean, test, and observe

C.
!