Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Vista 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit

Last response: in Windows 7
October 12, 2011 5:27:35 PM

Sirs:
Can anyone tell me if I can install an OEM Win 7 64 bit serial number on a system that was loaded from a Dell reinstallation disk? I bought the disk, and what turned out to be a bogas serial number from different venders. Now I have purchased the whole legitimate program from a vender I trust. The reason for wanting to do this involves licensing limits on other expensive software already loaded.

More about : vista bit windows bit

a b $ Windows 7
October 12, 2011 5:40:25 PM

A conversion from 32 bit os to 64 bit os needs a complete clean install of the 64 bit os and reinstallation of apps.

The dell installation was a oem license which is restricted to that motherboard.
If the dell install was a 32 bit windows 7 install, then you can use the dell oem key to activate the 64 bit windows 7 install.
You can use the 64 bit windows 7 dvd to do the install, assuming it is a legitimate copy.
Score
October 12, 2011 6:43:25 PM

Thanks for the reply, and let me clarify. The system I currently have installed is 64 bit win 7 professional. Problem is the serial number I bought to activate the system was rejected by microsoft, as it was obtained from a bogas seller, posing to be a legitimate Microsoft dealer. I went ahead and purchased a full OEM version of Win 7 Pro 64 bit from a trusted source. I would like to know if this serial number can be used. The pop up window from microsoft says the serial is either used by someone else or bogas, and tells me to reinstall the serial number. It does not indicate the the software is bad. But I have concerns that the OEM software is different from the Dell reinstall disk.
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
October 12, 2011 7:28:35 PM

Where did you get the w7 you installed in the first place, that you needed to separately buy an activation code?

I ask, because if it is not a legitimate copy of w7, it could be infected with altered code to do all sorts of nasty things.
In that case, you are safer to just install from lefitimate the dvd you bought.

But if the w7 copy you are using is legitimate, they are all the same, and you can use the oem activation code.
Score
October 12, 2011 8:07:44 PM

Ok, I have no concerns about the disk being genuine, nor does microsoft, the only issue was the serial number. Do you know anything about the build numbers, are they different if from Dell or OEM. My build is 7601.
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 12, 2011 9:56:31 PM

rockkett said:
Ok, I have no concerns about the disk being genuine, nor does microsoft, the only issue was the serial number. Do you know anything about the build numbers, are they different if from Dell or OEM. My build is 7601.

Well, go ahead and try to activte with the new serial #.
As far as I know, every windows 7 dvd is exacrly the same, except for the 32 and 64 bit variants.
Each contains all the different versions, as well as the oem, uptate, and retail versions.
When you install, you identify the type of windows, home, ultimate, update, etc, and when you activate, the legitimacy and appropriateness is checked.

So, you should be ok with a legitimate code.
October 12, 2011 10:10:03 PM

Thanks you have been a great help!
Score
October 13, 2011 12:14:41 AM

Best answer selected by rockkett.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 13, 2011 12:30:09 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Score
!