Sign in with
Your question

Worth changing components??

Last response: in Motherboards
July 6, 2010 11:30:19 PM

just wondering,, my dads pc, which he uses for microsoft offices, web surfing, and maybe some videos, is an 6 year old hp with few upgrades.
i tried 720p video one day, and it will give aroung 10 frames..;;
spec is
AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.2 Ghz
1GB (512MB x2) 333Mhz Ram (upgraded)
200GB HDD
250W PSU
HP MOBO
DVD writer
Geforce FX 5200 (upgraded)
i noticed that when internet surfing that has a long page, cpu will take few secs to show the full page.

so im considering upgrade to Intel Atom Dual core 330
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

will this worth it?
few benefits i found out are lot lower power consumtion, and dual core, 1MB cache instead of 512 kb

its only 110$ and i can just use rest of stuff like ODD, HDD, PSU.
and i have one stick of ddr2 lying around

thanks
a c 435 V Motherboard
a b α HP
July 7, 2010 12:03:49 AM

The atom will work but you may be disappointed with it's performance. The i3 530 is a much better choice, using only 13 watts average at idle. It has 2 cores with hyperthreading support, and the motherboards have come down in price. Onboard video is supported by this cpu, but I still recommend a low end video card. Only negative is it requires you to use ddr3. ECS makes a mini itx 1156 board for $65 after rebate at newegg if you need something small.
m
l
a c 435 V Motherboard
a b α HP
July 7, 2010 2:17:59 AM

A few days ago I picked up an hp board that uses ddr2 with a 3800+ single core am2 processor. Paid only $40 for the pair, and it posted fine. You may want to look for a similar deal on your local craigslist and add an extra stick of ddr2. I'm selling these for the same price I paid for them. For basic pc stuff like you describe, this type of setup is much cheaper, and 2 gigs of ram will make a big difference, but you'll have to learn how to install the board and backup files. You may also want to use a program such as ie privacy keeper and clean up some old files on the hardrive. The internet is sometimes slow no matter what system you use.
m
l
Related resources
July 7, 2010 9:26:08 PM

o1die said:
The atom will work but you may be disappointed with it's performance. The i3 530 is a much better choice, using only 13 watts average at idle. It has 2 cores with hyperthreading support, and the motherboards have come down in price. Onboard video is supported by this cpu, but I still recommend a low end video card. Only negative is it requires you to use ddr3. ECS makes a mini itx 1156 board for $65 after rebate at newegg if you need something small.

i wish i could get i3 for my main pc hahaha. im still using old wolfdale e6300 overclocked..

m
l
July 7, 2010 9:26:53 PM

my budget is around 100$
will i be better with cheap amd mobo and possibly dual core?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 8, 2010 2:23:11 AM

ASUS M4A785-M + AMD Athlon II X2 245 ~$95 and can use the DDR2 stick you have, has a good IGP, If you get enough ram (2GB+) it would be able to play 1080P content (my HTPC has the athlon II x2 240 and same IGP)
m
l
!