Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should I be receiving 40 C on a rig that contains a Corsair H100???

Last response: in Overclocking
June 21, 2012 7:23:30 AM

Hello everyone. I am a little curious as to temperature everybody is receiving on the Corsair H100 because I believe my Corsair H100 is not working at its full potential (even though I have it at the highest setting possible.)

My rig is comprised of this:
CPU: Intel i5 2500k
Heatsink: CorsairH100 (on Performance mode including two Cougar fans)
HD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
GPU: Sapphire AMD 6950 2GB
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X
PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX750
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Black

My case still includes 3 fans: two in the front and one in the rear. My Corsair H100 is on the top of my case (in the inside).

By-the-way, another note I should also add to the Corsair H100. Once I installed it on my computer and was testing it out I was greatly dissatisfied when the cooler was making an obnoxious sound which sounded like a HD. It was completely annoying and I wanted to return it but sadly, others were also having the problem where the pump was making that damn sound, so if I was to return the dud I would still receive another with the same problem. One guy actually found out by lowering the RPM of the fans you can cease the sound that it makes, so I made a mod with my female to male molex and connected it to my Corsair and wa-la, no sound at all even on the highest setting possible.

Rather than running at 2400 RPM on the radiator I basically knocked it down to 2000 RPM which runs perfectly with my Cougar Fans. Nonetheless, I still come to the topic that is bothering me: is it suppose to come out to 40 C under-load because when it is idle I get 27 C the max.

Please help me thanks!

P.S: Sorry if I put this in the wrong section. I just need help on this : /

Best solution

a c 110 K Overclocking
June 21, 2012 7:29:11 AM

I'll admit, I don't know what the temps SHOULD be for a H100, but 40C under load sounds pretty good to me. That's idle temp for a lot of people on the stock cooler.

And you're only seeing a 13C delta, which is awesome.

I'm guessing you haven't OC'd yet because you didn't say so, but if you have, that makes it all the more impressive.

I idle right around 30C (give or take a degree or two difference between the cores) with my 212 Evo, but my Prime 95 temps @ 4.5Ghz are in the low 60's, for comparison. You have PLENTY of room for a very nice OC (possibly 5Ghz+), if you want.
a c 150 K Overclocking
June 21, 2012 7:38:11 AM

NO NO NO NO NO!

Those are GREAT temps!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 21, 2012 8:06:16 AM

^^It looks like the noise and frustration are paying off, 40C under load is icy.
m
l
June 28, 2012 5:53:30 AM

Best answer selected by Geeksire.
m
l
!