Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help building a comp for my needs

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 19, 2009 2:37:59 AM

Hi. new here to these forums. Im looking to build a comp mainly to play world of warcraft, upload pictures from a cam, web surfing, run multiple programs at once,download music and movies.( ventrilo, firefox, wow). i know wow dosent require bleeding edge hardware but i would like to run it on medium to high graphics at 1024x7something. What i have so far is a old case from cyberpower, i think its called aspire? i have a hardrive and ati radeon 9800 gt or xt (i havent opened my comp case in a while. Mobo got fried according to some tech here in town. Im looking to stay in the $600 dollar range.

More about : building comp

December 19, 2009 3:21:21 AM

Processor: 62.00 free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard: 99.99 free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Memory: 94.00 free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Video Card: 109.99 plus shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Power supply: 79.99 free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Hard drive: 49.99 free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case: 54.99 free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


DVD Burner: 28.99 plus shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total 579.94 plus shipping on two items, should be no more than 20 bucks and is on target @ 600 budget.

I take it you have windows? Add another 100 to 150 bucks if you don't and figure out what to drop to pay for it (case, dvd drive, etc)

This should do you more than enough for what you are requesting and you can drop a nice quad core in later if you want a cheap upgrade...
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 19, 2009 3:26:23 AM

Nice. yes, i need windows 7. I do have a optical drive,video card, and case already. how do i find out if this ASUS MOBO will fit my case? What about a card reader for uploading pictures from my digital cam?
Related resources
December 19, 2009 3:44:14 AM

I'm a little confused on what video card you have now, a 9800GT or 9800XT? If its a 9800XT you are hurting for a new video card, thats an AGP card and you will need a PCI Express.

If you have the 9800GT you can do the following:

Processor: 62.00 free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819103687

Motherboard: 99.99 free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product

Memory: 94.00 free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product

Power supply: 79.99 free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product

Hard drive: 49.99 free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822148395

Case: 54.99 free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811129066

Windows 7: 139.99 free shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


579.96 and free shipping!

I have no idea about your case either. What brand case and what model? If you aren't sure I would consider getting a new case and get the feel of a new pc inside and out. You are within the 600 budget even with the case...




December 19, 2009 3:49:15 AM

Quote:
Hi. new here to these forums. Im looking to build a comp mainly to play world of warcraft, upload pictures from a cam, web surfing, run multiple programs at once,download music and movies.( ventrilo, firefox, wow). i know wow dosent require bleeding edge hardware but i would like to run it on medium to high graphics at 1024x7something. What i have so far is a old case from cyberpower, i think its called aspire? i have a hardrive and ati radeon 9800 gt or xt (i havent opened my comp case in a while. Mobo got fried according to some tech here in town. Im looking to stay in the $600 dollar range.


WoW is based on older tech, so its kinda cpu dependent, so having a strong cpu is important in a game like that. World of Warcraft is optimized for dual cores, so you will get better performance from a 550, which has 6mb of L3 cache and a high clock speed.

I took englandr753's suggestion about the hdd and placed it into the build.


AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Callisto 3.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$99 -Free shipping


ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$62


Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Desktop Memory Model CT25664BA1067 - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$78 for two sticks


Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$50 -Free Shipping


Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$65


Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
$105 -Free Shipping

Total = $461
December 19, 2009 3:58:47 AM

Keep my cpu & hard drive, use his motherboard, ram, power supply & OS, drop the cd rom and video card and keep my case, lol.

If you don't have a pci express video card then you will need to decide on what to get. Something around the 100-120 range is more than enough for the needs you listed...
December 19, 2009 4:06:03 AM

englandr753 said:
Keep my cpu & hard drive, use his motherboard, ram, power supply & OS, drop the cd rom and video card and keep my case, lol.

If you don't have a pci express video card then you will need to decide on what to get. Something around the 100-120 range is more than enough for the needs you listed...


The OP already has a hdd and a case. He didn't say he had an optical dirve, I don't think.
December 19, 2009 4:19:18 AM

Yes, he said he has an optical drive. If he's using a 9800XT he is most likely using an old IDE drive that could go any day and is much slower. Hes much better off with the new drive I suggested.

The case is optional in the sense his old case will be big enough for the atx motherboard. We don't know what case he has and for all we know its a dell and a lot of dells wont support a full atx.

We need to hear back from the OP...
December 19, 2009 4:26:34 AM

englandr753 said:
Yes, he said he has an optical drive. If he's using a 9800XT he is most likely using an old IDE drive that could go any day and is much slower. Hes much better off with the new drive I suggested.

The case is optional in the sense his old case will be big enough for the atx motherboard. We don't know what case he has and for all we know its a dell and a lot of dells wont support a full atx.

We need to hear back from the OP...


True, true. I tried google, but I didn't find anything about the case...

!