WD My Book WE II 2TB - Backup over internet?

schwizer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
WD My Book WE II 2TB - Backup over internet?
Considering buying a Western Digital My Book World Edition II 2TB. It states that all documents and files can be accessed over the internet using the included Mionet account but it doesn't say if it is possible to do a backup over the internet as well. Does anyone have experience with these? Is it possible to backup data from a computer over the internet?

Regards
Schwizer

scotchjeff

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

Did you get anywhere with this...I am wanting to do the same thing....basically back up my work computers to a NAS at my house.

rageaholic

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
@Scotchjeff - We're right in the middle of developing a "cloud" backup solution at the place I work, involving RSync and SSH. You might want to look into it if you can script.

@Schwizer - Skydrive, Amazon S3, Carbonite, or a plethora of other online backup solutions should do just fine for you if you want to actually "backup your backup" online. I have no experience with the WD Mionet software, but it sounds like you could just RDP into whatever machine you have your backup hooked up to so you can browse and transfer the files.

schwizer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
So I never did get anywhere with this. Backing up over the internet was not possible unless you were willing to go to great lengths with custom firmwares and scripting. I also don't want to use Skydrive because there are too many restrictions on things it won't backup and because i don't want to backup to the cloud, i want to backup to another local machine at a different address.

sk1939

Distinguished
Go figure. To backup locally you would either have to build your own NAS device or use something like a QNAP TS-219, stick it in a remote location, and VPN to it. Personally, I find it easier to rent a Safe Deposit box, back up to a portable HDD, encrypt with BitLocker, and stick it in the box.

TRENDING THREADS