Usb storage devices not detected

I no longer show any storage media (flash,portableHD) in my computer when i plug them in. The sound chimes when they connect, they show in the device manager with an exclamation point, but i cannot access anything. Initially my flash drives would attempt to install drivers but fail, now nothing even pops up in the task bar to show it is connected.

Anything that it not storage related (mouse,keyboard,printer,phone charger) all work fine, they chime and pop up in the taskbar when they are plugged in like normal.

What i have tried with no success: Boot into safemode and uninstall everything under USB Controller.... in the device manager including hidden, use different usb ports, refresh, update drivers, nothing works.

Hopefully someone can help because i am at a loss.

Thanks ~Gavin
11 answers Last reply
More about storage devices detected
  1. Is it a laptop? Try the device in another PC, to see if it works.
  2. forgot to add that pertinent info, it's an ASUS Desktop and yes everything works on other computers
  3. Whats the device and whats the driver version used? And the mobo. It must be the driver u are using, since it works everywhere else. Does it have its own driver?
  4. 3 different flash drives 2 portable hard drives and 2 SD cards all will not allow me to access them when they have before.
  5. ASUS motherboard CG1330 BIOS American Megatrends v0501

any other ideas?
  6. Are u getting any errors?
  7. nope i just cannot access any of the files
  8. And other USB devices are working?
  9. anything that is NOT a storage device works fine
  10. Try to uninstall usb drivers and restart, and than install the new one.

Select x32 or x64version that u have.

If u used that one and it didn't worked, let windows update to find one(when no usb driver is installed).
  11. The resolution was to:

Plug in and turn on the external USB hard drive
    Right mouse click on My Computer
    Left click on Manage
    Left click on Device Manager
    Expand the USB list
    Find the USB device for your USB Hard Drive (in my case it was the one that had no description)
    Right mouse click - Uninstall
    Turn off the external USB hard drive
    Turn on the external USB hard drive and let it find and install the driver
    It should work
Ask a new question

Read More

Device Manager Storage Windows 7