$2000.00 Gaming - Need Advice

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Hello. I need advice on a few parts I'm missing for my gaming build, and would also appreciate any comments of what I currently have on my list. It's been a long 6 year wait for me to change my computer and would like to get the best I can for my budget in regards to gaming.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: February
BUDGET RANGE: $2000.00 - $2400.00
SYSTEM USAGE: Gaming, Work
PREFERRED WEBSITE FOR PARTS: Amazon.com
OVERCLOCKING: Yes, planning to get around 3.2 - 3.4 GHz on CPU.
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Possibly in the future.
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

Current Configuration:

Processor: Core i7 920 LGA1366
Motherboard: ASUS P6T
Memory: Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D Dominator 6 GB 2x3 GB Sticks
Hard Drive: Intel X25 80 GB
Second Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 1TB SATA Hard Drive
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit OEM
Sound Card: Creative Labs SB0570L4 Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 5850
Case: ---
Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750-Watt
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S223L/BEBS SATA 22x
CPU Heatsink: ---

Total Cost: $1988.00

The parts I'm missing are the case and heatsink. I would really like to have a silent PC, and so having a silent heatsink and fans are an option I'm contemplating; however, I have no idea which ones are actually good.

Concerning the case, I would really like to have a sober, elegant case; the less lights and transparent panels it has the better. It's been very hard to find such a case, while also wanting superb functionality. Most of the good ones have too many bells and whistles. From what I've searched, the Lian Li cases look promising but sadly they are not sold on Amazon.

The reason why I'm buying from Amazon.com is because I don't live right now on the USA, and thus have no USA billing address. Amazon lets me ship to a POBox and use an outside billing address, while other sites, like Newegg.com, don't let you do this sadly.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Hmm maybe if I pay with PayPal then Newegg doesn't need to see my billing address. Anyways, I got a question about the motherboard you posted, is it really better than the normal Asus P6T one? Or is it just because of the combo price?

ares1214

Splendid
o yea, it is way better. it has sata 6.0, usb 3, higher clocked ram, better for oc'ing, ready for 32 nm (more future proof), overall better design, lower power consuption...ect and the combo is why i specifically selected that one.

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
With regard to the heatsink, take a look at the new Noctua NH-D14. One of the best if not the best heatsink out there.
What I was able to achieve with the NH-D14 was prime stability at 4.2GHz with load temperatures that peaked at 70 degrees Celsius and ran most of the time in the mid to high 60's. I was not prepared for this result, but am now thoroughly impressed with the performance of the NH-D14. All that, with no noise. Absolutely sick!
Case: CHIEFTEC Dragon?

Neverdyne

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. Quick question though, is the Patriot PS-100 on the same performance level compared to the Intel X25M one? And are 64 GB of system memory enough? I've heard a lot of good things about the Intel SSD from Tom's Hardware.

That heatsink looks nice by the way. Thanks.