Push/Pull with Cooler Master Hyper 212+ w/Noctua?

DW2012

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Hi, all,

I recently picked up a Noctua NF F12 120mm fan to use on my Hyper 212 Plus.

Right now, I have a Push configuration with my CM Stock Fan. I want to replace it with the Noctua FM F12.

However, would I be better off in setting up a Push/Pull with both these fans? If so, which fan should be placed where? I ask because apparently in Push/Pull, it's ideal that both fans be identical.

Thanks!

Solution
its ideal, but i've used different fans on my EVO, and its no big deal... but i would reccomend putting you stock fan to a different use, because push/pull barely dents the temps

nna2

Distinguished
its ideal, but i've used different fans on my EVO, and its no big deal... but i would reccomend putting you stock fan to a different use, because push/pull barely dents the temps

Solution

DW2012

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Thanks for the reply.

I installed the NF-F12 fan and under the default settings and I ran a Prime95 test for 10 minutes.

Surprisingly, my maximum temp was two degrees higher than they had been with the CM Stock fan. I assume this is because the F12 has a lower a lower RPM range of 300 to 1500.

I then tweaked my fan settings using Fan Xpert, and lined it up more with the CM settings of a 600 RPM to start, and it came down to Max. Temp of 65C after 15 minutes.

So, all seems good, but I have to say, I was expecting a bit more from the F12. It certainly is quieter than the CM. I had assumed a fan of this calibre would have brought my max temps down to 60-62 range.

Perhaps I should set my NF-12 to Turbo Mode? I'm thinking of setting it to Manual 100% at 60C and 35% at below 40C.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
The fan itself may not be the issue. You may have reached the thermal delta limit for your air flow and ambient temp. Though the 212 is doing it's best, your air flow may not be removing the heat from the case fast enough and/or in great enough volume. The other issue is ambient air temp. It is usually never mentioned but is the single most determining factor in how well the same radiator (the cooler is a radiator) will work in different environments.

DW2012

Honorable
May 28, 2012

Thanks for the reply. I have a Antec P280 Case. At the moment, I have the three stock fans Antec TwoCool (rear, top x2) set on Low with an additional Cougar Vortex PWM set as intake mid-case.

For the time being, everything seems good at 65C.

If I overclock, though, not sure what else I could do except set the Antec fans on high.

Cheers,
DW

nna2

Distinguished

its always good to run them high, if you can put up with the noise though

DW_2012

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Hi, everyone,

Thought I would update. I reverted back to my CM stock fan, and my temps are back to normal at default setups.

The NF-12 was quieter, but heat seemed to gather at the rear of the case without dissipation. I'm guessing that perhaps the Antec TwoCools in my case were not strong enough to evacuate this heat? Putting the Antec fans on High made very little difference, which seems to line up with what I have read (about this case).

Perhaps as someone has said, you need sufficient exhaust within the case to evacuate the heat.

rdc85

Honorable
I will put CM in pull and lower rpm fan to push..

CM fan will suck air from its surrounding toward rear exhaust (not just the hyper but also from mobo)

u will see incresed rpm of rear fan because the air pushed by the CM fan..

well that how i configure my hyper 212 fans.

edit: I leave the fan speed at auto. cm fan plunged in CPU fan pin , lower rpm fan plunged in NB fan pin.....
Try what the best for u since every case had diffrent airflow