boot

i recently reloaded OS (XP home) to different hard disk.
unfortunately, windows is still looking for a dll on start
up. i'm getting a pop-up box every time i boot. the box
name is "rundll". the warning is "error loading
F:\windows\system32\NvCpl.dll". drive F: no longer
exists, as both drives were re-named when i re-loaded the
OS.
i opened "msconfig" and unchecked this start-up item but
it insists on re-checking the box (re-adding itself to the
start up list) every time i boot. I tried looking in the
registry but i got lost. the item is no longer needed
because the same file resides within the new drive letter.
any ideas?

thanks, rich
1 answer Last reply
More about boot

    Your problem is with your Nvidia install.
    Two things you can do.

    Quick fix:
    Go to Start > Run > Msconfig > Startup tab, and just uncheck the line

    NvCplDaemon = RUNDLL32.EXE c:\windows\SYSTEM\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

    Click OK, and reboot.

    Other fix is to remove your current nvidia graphics card installation via:
    Start Menu > Windows Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and search for
    "NVIDIA Windows Display Drivers" or "NVIDIA Display Drivers" and select
    remove.
    Then run the newest driver installation from your computer/video card
    manufacturer or direct from

    Cheers

    "rich" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >i recently reloaded OS (XP home) to different hard disk.
    > unfortunately, windows is still looking for a dll on start
    > up. i'm getting a pop-up box every time i boot. the box
    > name is "rundll". the warning is "error loading
    > F:\windows\system32\NvCpl.dll". drive F: no longer
    > exists, as both drives were re-named when i re-loaded the
    > OS.
    > i opened "msconfig" and unchecked this start-up item but
    > it insists on re-checking the box (re-adding itself to the
    > start up list) every time i boot. I tried looking in the
    > registry but i got lost. the item is no longer needed
    > because the same file resides within the new drive letter.
    > any ideas?
    >
    > thanks, rich

Configuration Boot Windows XP