i got myself a new pc yesterday and finished assembling it today, my specs are

Phenom II X4 955
ASUS M4A87TD/USB3
Sapphire Toxic HD5850 2GB
Corsair XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Gigabyte Setto 1000
OCZ GameXStream 600W

it took me a lot of time to assemble but i finally did it about 30 minutes ago, i wished myself luck and pressed the power button, the computer started with the leds on and the fans spinning (psu, cpu and 2 on the case)
after 15 seconds or so i began to smell something like burnt plastic but i didnt think much of it till my brother said he felt the same smell, so i turned of the power immediately
after that i opened the side of the case and checked my gpu and cpu heatsink to see if they were too hot or anything but that wasnt the case
i turned on the power again while looking inside the case and i saw smoke coming out of a transistor right above the gpu, and it was getting red fast, i turned of the power as soon as i could

now i know im probably taking it back to the store but i ran into a couple of issues while assembling it so i want to know if it was my fault:

after installing my cpu hsf i discovered that to attach the fan power connector it would have to go over the fan itself, so i tried to remove it to put it in the right direction, while pulling it out the cpu came out attached to it even with the cpu tightener locked (the little stick on the cpu slot). i checked to see if something was broken then put everything in place

while putting the mobo i forgot to put it on the standoff screws and screwed it directly on the case, i tried to boot with that for a while but it wouldnt boot, istead the power supply would give a blue led glow for less than a second and the fans would spin then shut down, after some time of trying everything i decide to reassemble everything, then i discovered the missing standoffs. i put them and reinstalled everyhting then booted, that's when my problem happened

im very sorry for the long post but i really hope it's not something i have done so i can return it

violentlyhappy91

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Yeah, you really should have used those standoffs. Just claim you did use standoffs if they ask, some boards have problems when they're sent out, so it could very well be covered under RMA...

The scorched thing reminds me of my first thread on here, my friend knocked a bong over on my case, and it killed my board, but it was a different area. Surprisingly enough, they just replaced it for me, I use it as a backup now.

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Take everything apart, repack it, take it back, get a new one and don't make the same mistakes again when reassembling. You probably shorted the MB by powering on without standoffs. The PS detected the short and shut down but damage was done already to the board component. When you powered on again the short was gone so the PS powered the board and the damaged component fried. Check the contact pins on your cpu to make sure all are straight and no thermal paste is on them.