Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU Fan Speed Within a LAN

Last response: in Components
February 26, 2010 10:58:53 AM

OK, this is not actually a problem, but a nuisance:

At home, I have a Desktop PC, clone, ASUS Motherboard which have a smart system that allows me to set a goal temperature (Let's say, 50 centigrade degree) for the CPU.

Once the setpoint temperature is reached, the control program increases the CPU Cooler Fan RPM, until the heat goes below the goal temperature again.

The Desktop CPU connects to the internet using a Network switch, and the Network switch connects to an ADSL Router.

Now, when I'm at home, I connect my Hewlett Packard nc6230 Laptop to the same switch, same network, to use the Internet.

The issue is that, If I'm using my laptop and running a File compressor (Winrar), browsing the internet, reading my E-mail, I note that my Laptop's CPU gets pretty busy, everything slows down and, curiously, The Desktop Computer's CPU Fan increases RPM to cool the Desktop CPU Down.

This maybe a coincidence but, if I quickly close applications running at my Laptop, the Desktop's Cooler slows down immediately.

What would be the trigger that affects the Desktop's cooler fan speed? Data packets running through the LAN and passing by the Desktop CPU? Norton 360's firewall working extra time when thare's a lot of traffic inside the LAN?

Once again, the only problem here is the noise emmanating from the DEsktop cooler, but it gets my attention everytime it happens.

Thanks.

More about : cpu fan speed lan

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 3, 2010 10:41:00 PM

This is a dumb question, but is it possible the laptop is raising temps in the room?
March 3, 2010 11:46:06 PM

The only dumb question is a never asked question.
No; I don't think the room temperature is the issue; ir some network traffic that is triggered up when the laptop uses too much CPU Power.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 4, 2010 3:38:35 PM

Are you using remote desktop? I am having a hard time wrapping my head around a link between the two computers that is not possible, other than for the idea you suggest (norton examining everything on the LAN). Are you sure you have a switch and not a hub? Because the other desktop shouldn't be getting the packets from your laptop if you have a switch.
m
l
March 14, 2010 1:12:30 AM

festerovic said:
Are you using remote desktop? I am having a hard time wrapping my head around a link between the two computers that is not possible, other than for the idea you suggest (norton examining everything on the LAN). Are you sure you have a switch and not a hub? Because the other desktop shouldn't be getting the packets from your laptop if you have a switch.

No, I'm using a switch, not ahib; you know, hubs are obsolotete because they send and receive everything from and to all the RJ45 ports; switches are supposed a little smarter.

And yes, I'm using remote desktop, but disabled the lin between both computers and strenghten windows firewall in one of them for security reasons; I hope this solves the fan problema as a side effect.
m
l
March 14, 2010 1:13:05 AM

Best answer selected by comemaiz.
m
l
!