PSU

i7 920 4gb ddr3 2x2 rams
asus rampage gene II motherboard


alright so i bought a ati hd 5870 to complete my rig
my PSU was coolermaster 650w

everything was working fine for a 1week and a half
suddenly the PSU stopped.the warrenty was off got it from a 3rd party.repair guy said hes fully busted from inside better get new one

the engineer also said that the coolermaster was a BAD PSU

i tried to get corsair but not availble here in india

so please advice other PSU i really need 1 badly
18 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Check to see if you can get any of the following PSU's

    Antec Earthwatts series
    OCZ
    Seasonic
    PC Power & Cooling
  2. xfx
    enermax
    silverstone
    antec
    etasis
    seasonic
    pc power &cooling
    delta 500watt+(rare)
    Cwt

    all good brands
  3. and what voltage should it be
    the guy said 650w is less for 5870
    i was like WTF?
  4. wattage doesnt mean a thing these days, there is too much variety by manufacturer. Look at the current available on the 12V rail. For a 5870 you want a good 550 which will have ~40A. Voltage shouldnt be up for debate, so im assuming you meant wattage.
  5. yes wattage
  6. will buying coolermaster 650w i had again be a good idea or not?
  7. 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)

    is the requirement for a ati hd 5870
  8. coolermaster may not have good power supplies... none of the brands listed above are available to you?
  9. antec
    coolermaster
    corsair can be imported from country
  10. which cooler master 650W was it? They have a variety of units in their portfolio and if its one of the older designs it probably wont hold up well.
  11. eXtreme Power Plus 650W
  12. swarraws said:
    i7 920 4gb ddr3 2x2 rams
    asus rampage gene II motherboard


    alright so i bought a ati hd 5870 to complete my rig
    my PSU was coolermaster 650w

    everything was working fine for a 1week and a half
    suddenly the PSU stopped.the warrenty was off got it from a 3rd party.repair guy said hes fully busted from inside better get new one

    the engineer also said that the coolermaster was a BAD PSU

    i tried to get corsair but not availble here in india

    so please advice other PSU i really need 1 badly



    Corsair not AVAILABLE IN INDIA.....where do u live ??? which city ???

    I live in Mumbai and my system is powered by a Corsair TX650 W. You don't need to IMPORT it it's available in india and there are online websites which give ypu delivery anywhere in India and my suggestion is to go for a Corsair TX650 @ Rs.6700 OR Corsair TX850W @Rs. 9200....Modular options also available
  13. Never shop by brand name....why you might ask ?

    If you were looking for an 850 watt PSU and I said "Get a Silverstone", would that be good or bad advice ?

    For an answer, look at the numbers in parenthesis below which are the performance ratings given by reviewers at www.jonnyguru.com

    Silverstone Zeus ST85ZF - (9.5)

    SilverStone Decathlon DA850 - (7.5)

    SilverStone Strider ST85F - (7.0)

    Silverstone Element ST85EF 850W - (6.0)

    As you can see.....

    ST85ZF = Good Advice
    ST85EF = Very Bad Advice

    One letter difference in a catalog number takes you from a near perfect 10.0 to the lowest performance number ever recorded on the site for an 850 watt PSU.

    Why are these ratings all over the place ? Because almost all of the PSU vendors have their PSU's made by someone else.

    Here's how I search for anew PSU:

    1. Use a calculator to determine size such as one below:
    http://www.antec.outervision.com/

    2. Look at silentpcreview's Editor's Choice List
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs

    3. Note a few likely candidates and head over to jonnyguru site, hit "review" radio button and search on name or wattage
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=Search

    4. Note your final candidates and head over to your favorite shopping sites for pricing.

    5. If budget restrictions leave you w/o an affordable choice, return to step 2 and look at "Recommended List", then follow thru steps 3 to 4
  14. JackNaylorPE said:
    Never shop by brand name....why you might ask ?

    If you were looking for an 850 watt PSU and I said "Get a Silverstone", would that be good or bad advice ?

    For an answer, look at the numbers in parenthesis below which are the performance ratings given by reviewers at www.jonnyguru.com

    Silverstone Zeus ST85ZF - (9.5)

    SilverStone Decathlon DA850 - (7.5)

    SilverStone Strider ST85F - (7.0)

    Silverstone Element ST85EF 850W - (6.0)

    As you can see.....

    ST85ZF = Good Advice
    ST85EF = Very Bad Advice

    One letter difference in a catalog number takes you from a near perfect 10.0 to the lowest performance number ever recorded on the site for an 850 watt PSU.

    Why are these ratings all over the place ? Because almost all of the PSU vendors have their PSU's made by someone else.

    Here's how I search for anew PSU:

    1. Use a calculator to determine size such as one below:
    http://www.antec.outervision.com/

    2. Look at silentpcreview's Editor's Choice List
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/Recommended_PSUs

    3. Note a few likely candidates and head over to jonnyguru site, hit "review" radio button and search on name or wattage
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=Search

    4. Note your final candidates and head over to your favorite shopping sites for pricing.

    5. If budget restrictions leave you w/o an affordable choice, return to step 2 and look at "Recommended List", then follow thru steps 3 to 4



    Thanks a lot for this !! Gonna make a note of it
  15. most namebrand PSU get all of their power from their 12v rails, so wattage is 100% relevant. even 3.3 and 5v is just a few circuits hooked up to the 1st 12v rail.

    this is for "good" PSUs, not all are done this way.
  16. shravankale said:
    Corsair not AVAILABLE IN INDIA.....where do u live ??? which city ???

    I live in Mumbai and my system is powered by a Corsair TX650 W. You don't need to IMPORT it it's available in india and there are online websites which give ypu delivery anywhere in India and my suggestion is to go for a Corsair TX650 @ Rs.6700 OR Corsair TX850W @Rs. 9200....Modular options also available



    i live in matunga re...i search lamington road woh log bola delivary nahi aya( i dont truse products from lamington)
    so i asked private dealers to import, ab naya gfx card mil gaya but no SMPS
  17. DUDE got to primeabgb.com or their shop they had it some weeks back( on 6th Feb exactly).
    or go to cassette world ( tel no. 2387 2034/2389 5353 ). They did not have it in the shop but they got it for me. While primeabgb has it on display currently and dude these corsair PSU's are expensive already, importing them will cost you more...good luck though
  18. Go to www.primeabgb.com or www.theitwares.com
Ask a new question

Read More

Cooler Master Components