Whats a better choice, NAS or PC?

opethnj

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2005
Hi everyone,

Here is what I have..3 machines running Win 7 over a wired network plus an Xbox 360(wireless) all connected via the same router. I have 1 2 TB external HD which is connected to my machine. I would like to have a backup solution that is always on.

The NAS route seems like the obvious choice for media storage\streaming and network backup but I have an old machine I could probably use in this role.

My concern is what would be less of a power draw, a separate machine that is always on vs a NAS that is always on. Additionally noise is an issue as most of these computers are in my bedroom.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as I want to take advantage of various holiday sales this weekend if I need to order anything.

G

i have 2 old pentium 4 NAS in my basement running 24/7 for about 2 years now. my electric bill doesn't seems to increase much comparing to when i didn't have the NAS system. if i were you, i would build a NAS out of some old parts that are energy efficience. as for the noises, it will be noticeable because of all the hardives spinning and the fans etc.

arunphilip

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Well, a NAS will draw power for the hard disk(s), and then a bit for its electronics. I've an Iomega NAS with 2 HDDs, and my UPS reports its draw is under 17 W (my UPS doesn't have good power measurement resolution).

A PC would inevitably draw more, unless you've got an Atom/Brazos lying around.

That said, a PC can do a whole lot more - you could make it your NAS and proxy server, media server, etc. I guess it boils down to your use case.

When it comes to noise, it depends. My NAS makes quite a racket, and this opinion is shared by others reviews (maybe RAID-1 causes this?). Then again, there are single-disk NAS solutions that are whisper quiet. So, if you're shortlisting NASes, their reviews will help.