320Gbyte nearly full already?

geraldferreira

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011
My original 120Gbyte HD failed in my laptop, it was almost full anyway and I was thinking of replacing it with a bigger one. Anyway I replaced it with a new 320Gbyte Sata HD. Copied all my files from my back up of the original HD and reinstalled my applications.
I didn't pay much attention at the time on how much space I had, but recently I checked the properties of C: drive and I've only got 20Mbyte free and 290 used space. So I was surprise I only had this little space left.
I checked all the directories and large files and it all comes to 150Gbytes. How can this be. I checked the view files to see all hidden and system files, deleted all temp recycle bin files. So where are the missing 140bytes?
Can anyone explain what is going on here???

Gerald

geraldferreira@hotmail.com

quesionboy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

first you need to check the file system or sectors of your new partition, second you need to check if there are some bad sectors, third, do a complete defragement. And you could use other partition software to help you clone your old hard disk to your new hard disk, and resize the new partition duringing the clone operation.
You could refers to this resource:
http://www.partition-magic-windows7.com/res/clone-hard-drive-windows-7.html

geraldferreira

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

Thanks for replying.
The file system is NTFS, I have checked the drive for errors and defraged it, no change. The partition is stil 289Gbyte full but adding up all the files and directories it come to 150Gbytes.
I am running WinXP Pro with Service Pack3. My original HD is broken , hence replacing it with a larger drive. I have also checked for viruses, I have AVG antivirus 2012, all running OK no problems.
When I installed this new HD i just copied all the data I had on backup and installed the OS from the HP start up disks I had from the original HD.

quesionboy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
hi ,
if all the method you have try does not work. You could first do a fresh format, then to make sure the issu is appear before you clone the data from the backup or after you clone the data. If the issue is before the clone, you need to ask your hard disk support to find help.

geraldferreira

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2011

Thanks

That is great S/W. Like you said, it does show graphically and by byte size all the files and any empty spaces. In my case it shows the missing 130 Gbytes as "unknown" and 20 Gbytes of "free space".
Does this mean that I need to reformat the C: drive and start again. I suspect what may have happened is , I used the HP restore disks from my original 160Gbyte HD on this new HD which is 320 Gbytes, I can only presume it configured my new HD the same as the old one, and I just did not notice it at the time, and obviously nor does WinXP see it.