PartitionMagic v8.01 to merge partitions & the 1024 cylind..

I just bought PartitionMagic v8.01. I have a Sony Vaio laptop that
came with Windows XP Home on it and the 20GB hard drive was broken
into 6GB on the boot C: drive and the remaining is on the D: drive. I
wanted to merge the two together and since I couldn't do it with XP
(because the C: drive is the boot partition), I found I needed
PartitionMagic.

So I'm reading through the manual for PartitionMagic and I run across
this 1024 cylinder limit, or something about a 2GB or 8GB limit. If I
just want to merge my boot partition (C: drive) and my D: drive, will
this be a problem? Will I have some kind of booting problem, that the
manual speaks of? I purchased my laptop in February 2001, so it's not
THAT old, but is it still a possible problem? XP Home is the only OS
I'm running on this system. Thanks.

Ryan Cabanas

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Why are you asking here? Ask the folks at Partition Magic.

"Ryan Cabanas" <rcabanas@ncinternet.net> wrote in message
>I just bought PartitionMagic v8.01. I have a Sony Vaio laptop that
> came with Windows XP Home on it and the 20GB hard drive was broken
> into 6GB on the boot C: drive and the remaining is on the D: drive. I
> wanted to merge the two together and since I couldn't do it with XP
> (because the C: drive is the boot partition), I found I needed
> PartitionMagic.
>
> So I'm reading through the manual for PartitionMagic and I run across
> this 1024 cylinder limit, or something about a 2GB or 8GB limit. If I
> just want to merge my boot partition (C: drive) and my D: drive, will
> this be a problem? Will I have some kind of booting problem, that the
> manual speaks of? I purchased my laptop in February 2001, so it's not
> THAT old, but is it still a possible problem? XP Home is the only OS
> I'm running on this system. Thanks.
>
> Ryan Cabanas

Is there a partition magic group? Or do you mean symantec? Thanks.

Ryan Cabanas wrote:
> I just bought PartitionMagic v8.01. I have a Sony Vaio laptop that
> came with Windows XP Home on it and the 20GB hard drive was broken
> into 6GB on the boot C: drive and the remaining is on the D: drive. I
> wanted to merge the two together and since I couldn't do it with XP
> (because the C: drive is the boot partition), I found I needed
> PartitionMagic.
>
> So I'm reading through the manual for PartitionMagic and I run across
> this 1024 cylinder limit, or something about a 2GB or 8GB limit. If I
> just want to merge my boot partition (C: drive) and my D: drive, will
> this be a problem? Will I have some kind of booting problem, that the
> manual speaks of? I purchased my laptop in February 2001, so it's not
> THAT old, but is it still a possible problem? XP Home is the only OS
> I'm running on this system. Thanks.
>
> Ryan Cabanas

Those limits refer to older (much older) BIOS's. Go ahead and try it.

/dan

Will it allow me to go through with it even if it's going to thrash my
system? Thanks.