PartitionMagic v8.01 to merge partitions & the 1024 cylind..

September 21, 2004 11:58:13 PM

I just bought PartitionMagic v8.01. I have a Sony Vaio laptop that
came with Windows XP Home on it and the 20GB hard drive was broken
into 6GB on the boot C: drive and the remaining is on the D: drive. I
wanted to merge the two together and since I couldn't do it with XP
(because the C: drive is the boot partition), I found I needed
PartitionMagic.

So I'm reading through the manual for PartitionMagic and I run across
this 1024 cylinder limit, or something about a 2GB or 8GB limit. If I
just want to merge my boot partition (C: drive) and my D: drive, will
this be a problem? Will I have some kind of booting problem, that the
manual speaks of? I purchased my laptop in February 2001, so it's not
THAT old, but is it still a possible problem? XP Home is the only OS
I'm running on this system. Thanks.

Ryan Cabanas
September 22, 2004 1:25:29 AM

Why are you asking here? Ask the folks at Partition Magic.

"Ryan Cabanas" <rcabanas@ncinternet.net> wrote in message
>I just bought PartitionMagic v8.01. I have a Sony Vaio laptop that
> came with Windows XP Home on it and the 20GB hard drive was broken
> into 6GB on the boot C: drive and the remaining is on the D: drive. I
> wanted to merge the two together and since I couldn't do it with XP
> (because the C: drive is the boot partition), I found I needed
> PartitionMagic.
>
> So I'm reading through the manual for PartitionMagic and I run across
> this 1024 cylinder limit, or something about a 2GB or 8GB limit. If I
> just want to merge my boot partition (C: drive) and my D: drive, will
> this be a problem? Will I have some kind of booting problem, that the
> manual speaks of? I purchased my laptop in February 2001, so it's not
> THAT old, but is it still a possible problem? XP Home is the only OS
> I'm running on this system. Thanks.
>
> Ryan Cabanas
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 1:45:44 PM

Is there a partition magic group? Or do you mean symantec? Thanks.

"Jerry" <NoSpamChiefZeke@MSN.com> wrote in message news:<uP73twFoEHA.3900@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
> Why are you asking here? Ask the folks at Partition Magic.
>
> "Ryan Cabanas" <rcabanas@ncinternet.net> wrote in message
> >I just bought PartitionMagic v8.01. I have a Sony Vaio laptop that
> > came with Windows XP Home on it and the 20GB hard drive was broken
> > into 6GB on the boot C: drive and the remaining is on the D: drive. I
> > wanted to merge the two together and since I couldn't do it with XP
> > (because the C: drive is the boot partition), I found I needed
> > PartitionMagic.
> >
> > So I'm reading through the manual for PartitionMagic and I run across
> > this 1024 cylinder limit, or something about a 2GB or 8GB limit. If I
> > just want to merge my boot partition (C: drive) and my D: drive, will
> > this be a problem? Will I have some kind of booting problem, that the
> > manual speaks of? I purchased my laptop in February 2001, so it's not
> > THAT old, but is it still a possible problem? XP Home is the only OS
> > I'm running on this system. Thanks.
> >
> > Ryan Cabanas
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 2:28:24 PM

Ryan Cabanas wrote:
> I just bought PartitionMagic v8.01. I have a Sony Vaio laptop that
> came with Windows XP Home on it and the 20GB hard drive was broken
> into 6GB on the boot C: drive and the remaining is on the D: drive. I
> wanted to merge the two together and since I couldn't do it with XP
> (because the C: drive is the boot partition), I found I needed
> PartitionMagic.
>
> So I'm reading through the manual for PartitionMagic and I run across
> this 1024 cylinder limit, or something about a 2GB or 8GB limit. If I
> just want to merge my boot partition (C: drive) and my D: drive, will
> this be a problem? Will I have some kind of booting problem, that the
> manual speaks of? I purchased my laptop in February 2001, so it's not
> THAT old, but is it still a possible problem? XP Home is the only OS
> I'm running on this system. Thanks.
>
> Ryan Cabanas

Those limits refer to older (much older) BIOS's. Go ahead and try it.

/dan
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 12:49:56 AM

Will it allow me to go through with it even if it's going to thrash my
system? Thanks.

!