PartitionMagic v8.01 to merge partitions & the 1024 cylind..

I just bought PartitionMagic v8.01. I have a Sony Vaio laptop that
came with Windows XP Home on it and the 20GB hard drive was broken
into 6GB on the boot C: drive and the remaining is on the D: drive. I
wanted to merge the two together and since I couldn't do it with XP
(because the C: drive is the boot partition), I found I needed
PartitionMagic.

So I'm reading through the manual for PartitionMagic and I run across
this 1024 cylinder limit, or something about a 2GB or 8GB limit. If I
just want to merge my boot partition (C: drive) and my D: drive, will
this be a problem? Will I have some kind of booting problem, that the
manual speaks of? I purchased my laptop in February 2001, so it's not
THAT old, but is it still a possible problem? XP Home is the only OS
I'm running on this system. Thanks.

Ryan Cabanas
4 answers Last reply
More about partitionmagic merge partitions 1024 cylind

    Why are you asking here? Ask the folks at Partition Magic.

    "Ryan Cabanas" <rcabanas@ncinternet.net> wrote in message
    >I just bought PartitionMagic v8.01. I have a Sony Vaio laptop that
    > came with Windows XP Home on it and the 20GB hard drive was broken
    > into 6GB on the boot C: drive and the remaining is on the D: drive. I
    > wanted to merge the two together and since I couldn't do it with XP
    > (because the C: drive is the boot partition), I found I needed
    > PartitionMagic.
    >
    > So I'm reading through the manual for PartitionMagic and I run across
    > this 1024 cylinder limit, or something about a 2GB or 8GB limit. If I
    > just want to merge my boot partition (C: drive) and my D: drive, will
    > this be a problem? Will I have some kind of booting problem, that the
    > manual speaks of? I purchased my laptop in February 2001, so it's not
    > THAT old, but is it still a possible problem? XP Home is the only OS
    > I'm running on this system. Thanks.
    >
    > Ryan Cabanas

    Is there a partition magic group? Or do you mean symantec? Thanks.

    Ryan Cabanas wrote:
    > I just bought PartitionMagic v8.01. I have a Sony Vaio laptop that
    > came with Windows XP Home on it and the 20GB hard drive was broken
    > into 6GB on the boot C: drive and the remaining is on the D: drive. I
    > wanted to merge the two together and since I couldn't do it with XP
    > (because the C: drive is the boot partition), I found I needed
    > PartitionMagic.
    >
    > So I'm reading through the manual for PartitionMagic and I run across
    > this 1024 cylinder limit, or something about a 2GB or 8GB limit. If I
    > just want to merge my boot partition (C: drive) and my D: drive, will
    > this be a problem? Will I have some kind of booting problem, that the
    > manual speaks of? I purchased my laptop in February 2001, so it's not
    > THAT old, but is it still a possible problem? XP Home is the only OS
    > I'm running on this system. Thanks.
    >
    > Ryan Cabanas

    Those limits refer to older (much older) BIOS's. Go ahead and try it.

    /dan

    Will it allow me to go through with it even if it's going to thrash my
    system? Thanks.

    Daniel Ganek <ganek@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<cis269$oqq$1@pcls4.std.com>...
    > Ryan Cabanas wrote:
    > > I just bought PartitionMagic v8.01. I have a Sony Vaio laptop that
    > > came with Windows XP Home on it and the 20GB hard drive was broken
    > > into 6GB on the boot C: drive and the remaining is on the D: drive. I
    > > wanted to merge the two together and since I couldn't do it with XP
    > > (because the C: drive is the boot partition), I found I needed
    > > PartitionMagic.
    > >
    > > So I'm reading through the manual for PartitionMagic and I run across
    > > this 1024 cylinder limit, or something about a 2GB or 8GB limit. If I
    > > just want to merge my boot partition (C: drive) and my D: drive, will
    > > this be a problem? Will I have some kind of booting problem, that the
    > > manual speaks of? I purchased my laptop in February 2001, so it's not
    > > THAT old, but is it still a possible problem? XP Home is the only OS
    > > I'm running on this system. Thanks.
    > >
    > > Ryan Cabanas
    >

    > Those limits refer to older (much older) BIOS's. Go ahead and try it.
    >
    > /dan

Configuration Windows XP