Sign in with
Your question

MSI p45 motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
July 7, 2010 7:03:52 PM

Hello,I recently acquired a p45 motherboard from a friend. I secured the motherboard in the case and connected every single power and sata cable correctly. I put all the jumpers to default settings ( never worked with jumpers before ) according to the manual I downloaded off msi's website.

I originally had my old processor in the new motherboard and when i turned on the power, all the fans powered on but I hit the processor fan and the board shut down. I replaced the cpu with another that works and now the motherboard wont even power on. The only thing that shows some sort of life is the fact that the standby light is on. Please help me troubleshoot this motherboard, I really need my PC to work once again.

More about : msi p45 motherboard

July 8, 2010 10:51:22 AM

Breadboard it and start with the bare essentials. I use a screwdriver on the front panel headers to turn it on. It could be an incompatibility with the new CPU, try with the old one again.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 8, 2010 8:32:20 PM

Does that board support the CPU you put in there with it's current BIOS? If not, then you need to install a CPU that it will work with until you can flash the BIOS.
m
l
July 9, 2010 9:04:47 AM

Hello all, I tried taking out the video card, soundscard, wireless card, and taking the motherboard out and putting it on another surface. Nothing helped. Then i tried taking out the battery and waiting awhile before i put it back in. Still nothing. I even tried putting the old CPU back in. Nothing has worked. Now and then i can get the motherboard to flash its lights for maybe, half a second, then it shuts off. Im out of ideas :( 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 9, 2010 3:15:30 PM

If the lights flash for a split second, you have a short (or open).

Did you use the jumpers to reset the CMOS or just remove the battery only? Removing the battery only will not always reset CMOS.

Until you can get poewr on the motherboard, you can't fix it. Remove the videocard and RAM and leave them out. Now, step by step, just the mobo and CPU w/HSF installed and you should get beeps. If you can't get beeps or power on with just those two components, your mobo is probably fried.
m
l
July 9, 2010 11:24:11 PM

hundredislandsboy said:
If the lights flash for a split second, you have a short (or open).

Did you use the jumpers to reset the CMOS or just remove the battery only? Removing the battery only will not always reset CMOS.

Until you can get poewr on the motherboard, you can't fix it. Remove the videocard and RAM and leave them out. Now, step by step, just the mobo and CPU w/HSF installed and you should get beeps. If you can't get beeps or power on with just those two components, your mobo is probably fried.

I used the jumpers as well as the battery. Im not sure was HSF is. I will try removing the ram and have just the cpu and motherboard. Thanks for the help so far.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 10, 2010 4:57:49 AM

HSF = heatsimk fan

What exactly is the motherboard brand and model?
m
l
!