Sign in with
Your question

Do all Gigabyte X58A-UD3R motherboards have noise problems?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 7, 2010 7:24:28 PM

I recently ordered an entire computer from NCIX.com and the motherboard in my system was the X58A-UD3R. I only just heard about the noise problems they seemed to have and I was wondering if this problem was widespread, and what the chances of me getting a whiny mobo are...?

If my motherboard does have noise problems, will Gigabyte's warranty cover it? Will NCIX replace it? Would they re-install it too since they check for faulty parts during assembly/testing? Is there a chance NCIX will send me one of these whiny boards or will they replace it?

Please help, I'm a frightened n00b! :( 
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 7, 2010 8:20:13 PM

Why do you assume it's just the motherboard? You need to isolate the source first. Could be the power supply, cpu fan, or case fan. Some boards have a "smart fan" feature in the bios that allows you to turn down the cpu rpms.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 7, 2010 8:49:49 PM

If you have a rev1 board, check that you are at BIOS F5...

In the BIOS (either rev1 or 2), on the " Advanced CPU Features" sub-page of the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page, try disabling:
"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)"
"C3/C6/C7 State Support"
&
"CPU EIST Function"
...see if it goes away...
m
l
Related resources
July 8, 2010 12:43:53 AM

o1die said:
Why do you assume it's just the motherboard? You need to isolate the source first. Could be the power supply, cpu fan, or case fan. Some boards have a "smart fan" feature in the bios that allows you to turn down the cpu rpms.

I don't actually have the PC yet.
m
l
July 8, 2010 12:47:44 AM

bilbat said:
If you have a rev1 board, check that you are at BIOS F5...

In the BIOS (either rev1 or 2), on the " Advanced CPU Features" sub-page of the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page, try disabling:
"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)"
"C3/C6/C7 State Support"
&
"CPU EIST Function"
...see if it goes away...

I have heard that changing those options can make it go away, but why should it be happening in the first place? I was wondering if Gigabyte has solved the problem and/or if it is present in all or some cases. EIST is a useful option as it reduces the power consumed by and heat generated by the CPU when not under load.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 8, 2010 3:54:33 PM

The only thing I can conceive of is the inductors/chokes in the power supply circuitry - there just isn't anything else in a solid-state board that can make noise! It seems odd to me that I've only heard of this problem with with the occasional UD3R, and mostly UD5's, and NOT the UD7, as, I believe, the UD5 & 7 share the same 'dual eight-phase' power setup, which the 3 does not have...
m
l
April 7, 2011 12:54:25 AM

I had the same problem on my Hackintosh and changing these settings did indeed fix the warble. Thanks.
m
l
!