Cpu not compatible with motherboard

G

Hello,had a quad core cpu (amd phenom 2 x4 955 but the pins bent so i had to replace my cpu for my msi 790fx gd70 motherboard ..... whilst saving money for another 955 or 965 i went for a cheaper cpu (amd sempron 140 ) it was a am3 socket same as motherboard but the computer wouldnt start . kept showing ff d1 d3 on the motherboard display . DOES MOTHERBOARD COMPATABILITY MATTER AND HOW MUCH? AND WHAT WILL
HAPPEN IF A NON COMPATABLE CPU IS PUT IN AND WHAT DAMMAGE ?

ANY 1 WHO CAN HELP WOULD BE GREAT

THANK YOU

No damage for using a non compatable cpu if the cpu pin count is the same. Try removing the motherboard battery with the system off, then reinstall it. I don't recognize the display codes, but perhaps someone else will.

tikrjee

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
pretty much was going to suggest the same thing as O1die. either pop the battery off the motherboard and power-cycle the computer,
or
move the jumper for BIOS on the motherboard to clear it out, power-cycle, return jumper to original position, and fire it up again.

You say one/some of the pins were bent on the old processor? Did you check the socket on the board before attempting to reinsert the new CPU to make sure nothing would prevent any pins on the new chip from going in fully?

That's the one thing I'll give credit to Intel on: no pins to worry about on the CPU anymore.

Actually, the no pins credit goes to Dell. Their installers had too many damaged socket 478 cpus; they work insanely fast when assembling a system. At the time, Dell was Intel's biggest customer, so Intel made the change because of the complaints.