Sign in with
Your question

Concerned about cooling in my new rig

Last response: in Overclocking
June 22, 2012 4:12:58 PM

Hey guys. I'm building a rig this weekend. I've been reading through a bunch of reviews while waiting for parts and I'm a little concerned about cooling in my system.  Here's my setup:

Corsair Obsidian Series 650D Case
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.50 GHz LGA1155
Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 
ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II OC
Corsair Force Series GT 240GB SSD
SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V

My biggest issue is that from what I've read the corsair 650D has middle of the road cooling (negative pressure). Combined with the fact that the Asus direct CU 680 card pumps hot air back into the case, I'm concerned that I may have poor air flow in the case. 

The general airflow appears to be as follows: 

(1) Stock 200mm intake fan in the front (bottom) pulls cool air into the case.

(2) Cool air mixes with hot air exhausted from ASUS graphics card and flows towards the CPU.

(3) Luke warm air (!!) flows into CPU and is pulled out via a stock 120mm exhaust fan in the back and a 200mm fan on the top of the case.

I'm trying to think of ways to improve positive air pressure and overall flow in the case and I'm thinking maybe I'll mount a gentle typhoon 120mm fan into the 5.25 drive bays. That would result in mostly cool air flowing into the CPU (versus step 3 above). 

Do you guys think mounting a fan in the 5.25 bay makes sense for my configuration? Or is it unnecessary?

Note: The PSU is mounted at the bottom under a kind of closed loop... so I've ignored it.

More about : concerned cooling rig

a b K Overclocking
June 22, 2012 5:21:50 PM

If you mount a fan in the 5.25 bays it needs to be able to draw ambient air from some where. So if for example your drive bay covers have small holes in them and you place a fan in the 5.25 bay against the bay covers it will be able to pull ambient "cool" air from outside the case into the case. Otherwise it's just pushing whatever air is already there.

If you have spare fans you can test different configurations. Maybe try placing two 120mm or 140mm fans on the top in place of the 200mm. Not sure what other mounting options you may have in that case.

You're temps shouldn't be bad with the stock set up. Let use know what your getting temp wise when its up and running.
m
l
!