Intel Core i3 or Core i5?

lordwoo

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
Hi guys,

I'm going to buy a laptop from Dell (Inspiron 1564 range) for web app development and general use (web browsing, word processing etc).

I have a choice between two laptops that are identical, except that one has the Core i3-330M processor (2.16Ghz), and the other has the Core i5-430M (2.26Ghz, can turbo boost up to 2.53Ghz).

The i5 version is £80 more. I can afford this, but I'm wondering if a) it will draw more power, reducing my battery life, and b) it will make much of a difference given my intended use.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Will

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[strike]BTW, the turbo mode on dual core CPUs are much less useful IMO as most applications use at least 2 cores today.

Hence, I would go for the i3 if I were you.[/strike]

EDIT:
I just realized that the dual core i5 add TWO bins instead of one to CPU when all cores active.

I votes for i5 then!

p.s. Intel is smart and they do realize that most apps use at least 2 cores now and hence they make the turbo mode of dual core stronger. Well done, Intel.

Turbo does use more power than the same CPU would without turbo. It does not exceed the rated TDP, but that doesn't mean that power draw is not increased. It also gives a significant performance advantage though. Personally, I'd get the i5.

Oh and turbo can run with 2 cores active. A friend of mine recently purchased a computer with an i5-430m, and even under 4 threaded benchmarks, it held 2.53GHz most of the time.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
1. Turbo does use more power but the extra power is insignificant at all.

2. Ok. I just realized that the dual core i5 add TWO bins instead of one to CPU when all cores active.

I vote for i5 then!