Overclocking the GTX 570 to the max ?

TBNRorb

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
What is the max settings that I could overclock my GTX 570 without risking destroying the card, and how much fps increase would that get me on a game like BF3 ?

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Unfortunately we can't tell you the max; because each card is essentially different. Overclocking requires extreme amount of patience; as it can be very temperamental.

The reference model GTX 570 has a clock-rate of 723 mHz. If you didn't buy an upgraded video-card; once that is overclocked straight from the manufacture you may have lower quality components which may make higher clock rates harder to achieve and generate way more heat.

In theory, you should be able to reach 800 mHz to 850 mHz.

By pushing it to the 850 mHz it will generate significant amounts of heat and may hit up to 84 degrees Celsius or higher without proper cooling. The fan on the card may even start to sound like a turbine. Don't let the card exceed 85 degrees Celsius. Once they hit the 100 to 105 degree range it can physically damage the card.

A machine overclocked to 850 mHz will have the following parameters:

Clock: 850 mHz
Shader: 1700 mHz
Memory: 1950 mHz
Voltage: 1.088

As I stated earlier if you jump straight to this rate it may simply fail; because each card is different. I'd suggest following the instructions below:

1. Locate the manufacture of your card.
2. Go to their web-site and download the Overclocking Utility
3. Once you've started the software; verify all your base settings and jot them down in a notebook.
4. Right the current temperatures with the fan speed.
5. Adjust your clock rate by ten to twenty
6. Verify your shader is exactly double your clock-rate.
7. Benchmark and verify the results.
8. Compare your frequency gain, temperature, and FPS results.
9. Repeat step 5 through 8.
10. Your clock rate and shader should be getting quite high; gradually increase now. (1-5)
11. Repeat steps 7 and 8.
12. Repeat steps 10 and 11 until you see the following: artifacts; driver fails; crashes; or any other instability.
13. Once it fails; decrease by a few mHz that is your peak clock rate.

You would follow the same process, but now you'll do it for your memory. Once you've hit it's barrier you now know it's peak as well. Once you've found all of your peak values; you can essentially start adjusting the voltage. This will allow you to obviously increase to possibly push it further or decrease to help offset some of the heat your creating at those higher frequencies.

I'd shoot for efficiency. By offsetting some of the heat you'll have a far greater power per watt consumption rate. Also, it may make the difference of having a jet engine next to you while your using your machine.

If you need further help feel free to ask; I hope this does help you out.

GArrigotti

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

Nice overclocks. If your air cool correctly you can achieve solid results. A lot of people however; don't. They go for pretty lights rather then performance. Mean while they could just mod some LED's and essentially just draw power off the USB panel on the motherboard if they have an extra.

Yes your correct though about the weak VRM; I don't think he'll push it quite that far.