Assitance with a build. Suggestions please.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: sometime within the next 2 weeks

BUDGET RANGE: $800 - $1000 USD

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, operating system

PARTS PREFERENCES: Not sure what to go with; Amd or Intel. Intel seems to rock the gaming world right now though but either or, doesn't matter to me

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Defintely probably not now but later

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Dual Monitor 24 inch and 22 inch, depends, but high

I am currently trying to build a new system for myself, no games that are really high end but would like to be ready or easy to update for some games that will be releasing this year. I appreciate your help. Thanks!

What I put together: Might be bad but thats why I am asking for help :)

CPU and Motherboard: Combo

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

CASE: I really like this case but will take any suggestions.

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

Power Supply:

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Retail

CD/DVD Burner:

PLEXTOR Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD/CD Writer LightScribe Support - OEM

BTW total price right now is: 1,045.92

Once again Thanks for your input.
11 answers Last reply
More about assitance build suggestions please
  1. Anyone?
  2. You can't use that RAM for a x58 mobo the one you selected is for p55 mobos

You can get OCZ or G. Skill 6 GB ones for your x58 mobo

You don't seem to have a graphics card. What games to do play/ plan to play?
  3. Need 3 x 2GB modules (triple channel) for X58. best ones available are:

That WD doesn't have the newer 500 GB platters, (only 2 TB model does), suggest Spinpoint f3 or Seagate 7200.12

No Blue Ray ?
  4. O yeah sorry about that I already have Geforce 9800 GTX, but not planning to update until later. I am not quite sure at this point, I currently play WOW and going to start Global Agenda when its released and Battlefied Bad Company when it comes out too.

I have the Blu Ray too.
  5. You didn't specify a graphics card.
    If your main use is gaming, you really should consider getting an ATI 5850 graphics card:
    Alternatively, you could go with an ATI 5770 now and add a second one later when you have the money:

You should also consider getting a CPU cooler, such as the Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B now sold by Newegg:

The problem is you have already exceeded your budget. Any possibility of adding a few hundred dollars to your build.
  6. Unfortunately not at this time, do you have a suggested build so that maybe I can stay with in my budget.
  7. If this is really only for gaming, you can save a bunch by going i5 instead of i7920 without affecting performance. It will even leave you room to upgrade your graphics card to a 4890 or better and stay in budget
  8. Thank you.
  9. I would save even more on the MB...there are several good choices but I like this one because it doesn't use the foxconn socket that keeps frying, and has all the features and performance most people need.
  10. microcenter caries the i7 920 for 199.99
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product