Sign in with
Your question

Need a bit of help, bios, firmware, motherboard ect...

Last response: in Storage
November 28, 2011 6:57:46 AM

ok, reading a bit about ssds because im thinking of getting one, so i find an ocz 120gb sata 3 and its really cheap, so i look at its rateing, 50% love, and 4eggs on newegg... so i look at the 22% that one star.

im reading about bios updateing, firmware, among other things....

with a hdd i don't remember any consumer that ever firmware updated, and i don't like the idea of doing that.

can anyone shed some light on this for me... is bios really a problem... as i have at least a 2 year old motherboard.

does firmware need to be updated? sense it will be a boot drive for the most part, i would loose ability to use the computer if it dies.

and do i have to put up with firmware upgrades from intel or is it just the sandforce ones?
November 28, 2011 11:05:09 AM

so you know what im looking at, its an intel sata II drive, 120gb or a http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QJM1HG?smid=ATVPDK...
OCZ Technology 240 GB Vertex 3 SATA III 6.0 Gb/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive VTX3-25SAT3-240G

im only saying itel for now because the deal is REALLY great, once i place order ill post link to it here, and that ocz is up for a cyber monday on amazon...

anyone able to help me out on what im getting my self into firmware/bios/motherboard wise? will motherboards out and out accept them? does the firmware need upgradeing? do i need to flash bios? anything you know can help
November 28, 2011 3:46:07 PM

ok unless there is an amazing deal on the ocz i'm going intel, can anyone tell me if i need to upgrade firmware, as i really don't want to do this, i never liked the fact that a bad install can kill things completely.
November 29, 2011 4:52:11 AM

is there anything i need to know about installing an ssd that is different from a hdd? im going with the intel, after the price on the ocz was far higher than i was willing to go.
!