Sign in with
Your question

I5 3570k always on Energy Saving Mode. Help!

Last response: in Overclocking
June 23, 2012 2:49:45 AM

Hi, I'm new to overclocking so I hope someone can help me out! :D 

I recently built my own rig with the i5 3570k processor, together with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and the Asus P8Z77-V LX motherboard and so far it's been fine. Until recently when I've been rendering a lot of videos on Sony Vegas and started checking my CPU's Frequency using Asus' AI Suite II, my processor never goes above 1.6 GHz even when I'm rendering my videos. I had to use the TurboV Evo tool from AI Suite II to set it to about 4.0 GHz for it to run at that speed, and the temperatures seem fine. But whenever I reboot my computer it always goes back to only 1.6GHz. It's been like that for about 2 weeks and using Intel's Turbo Boost Monitor I found out that my Processor is always on "Energy Saving Mode", unless if i tweak the GHz to whatever I want in TurboV Evo.

So the problem is, I can only run above 1.6GHz whenever I set it to on TurboV Evo on AI Suite II.

Here are my specs:
Intel i5 3570k Processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard
Kingston Hyper X 1600MHz RAM 2x4GB
Corsair TX650M Power Supple
Gigabyte HD6850 GPU
Operating System Installed on: Corsair Force SATA 3 120GB SSD
Other storage on a 1TB WD Caviar Blue HDD
Cooler Master CM690 II Case

Please do reply! Ask me for anymore information if needed. Thanks. :) 

June 23, 2012 3:16:43 PM

It's possible that it's something to do with the BIOS power saving options for the processor. I suggest you have a look at the user manual for the P8Z77-V for the explanation of the power saving options. Use common sense based on what you read in the manual and be careful, but you may be able to identify the problem through simple testing and elimination. You may also want to check that the processor isn't for some reason underclocked to 1.6GHz in the BIOS - though I doubt it.

I can't say for certain but it does seem like a software issue rather than a hardware issue, given that you have been able to get the CPU to run above stock clock speeds. The challenge is finding out which part of which piece of software is the problem.
m
l
June 23, 2012 3:27:15 PM

DevenneyEU said:
It's possible that it's something to do with the BIOS power saving options for the processor. I suggest you have a look at the user manual for the P8Z77-V for the explanation of the power saving options. Use common sense based on what you read in the manual and be careful, but you may be able to identify the problem through simple testing and elimination. You may also want to check that the processor isn't for some reason underclocked to 1.6GHz in the BIOS - though I doubt it.

I can't say for certain but it does seem like a software issue rather than a hardware issue, given that you have been able to get the CPU to run above stock clock speeds. The challenge is finding out which part of which piece of software is the problem.

Thanks for the reply, DevenneyEU. Appreciate it. I'll take your advice and study the user's manual for a bit, I'll get back to you on this.
m
l
Related resources
June 26, 2012 2:45:39 AM

Did you have any luck with the BIOS?
m
l
June 30, 2012 3:05:59 PM

DevenneyEU said:
Did you have any luck with the BIOS?

Nope. No luck on Bios. Turns out that I was on Maximum Power Saving mode on AI Suite II's EPU. :sweat:  Silly Me! Thanks for your help! Appreciate it.
m
l
!