SLI Problem in Windows 7

jeanius1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
So I recently did a fresh install of windows 7 through the upgrade. I installed vista, updated all drivers, installed win 7 upgrade, and now the SLI option in the NVidia control panel is gone. I've found that if I disable two of my vid cards, restart, enable them again, restart, the option shows up again, but if I restart again, it is gone. As well, when installing new drivers, the option does show up, but after restart, it is gone again. Tried updating everything already. This was working fine before on win 7, for some reason it won't now. Specs:

EVGA x58 SLI
3x GTX275
Core i7 920
6gb RAM

jeanius1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Also, if I install the drivers and enable SLI before restarting, I get BSOD of IRQ less than or equal on startup, consistently, until I restore to a previous point.

jeanius1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Cleared the HD, installed Win7 straight from the upgrade disc, and same results. I used windows update to install the video drivers, but it reports the installation fails. I still get the NVidia control panel at the desktop right-click, SLI option is still not available, just PhysX. NVidia drivers still show up in windows update. Looks like they aren't getting installed correctly.

jeanius1

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Cleaned drivers with driver sweeper, disabled all but 1 card, reinstalled 185.85 drivers, problem still persists. The failed windows update driver installation confuses me though, any idea why that would fail on a fresh win7 install?

rlgeary

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
I have the same here using 2x 260GTX cards.

What is gowing on?

I had a similar problem after updating my video driver to version 195.62 for my two EVGA GTX 260 cards. The 'Show SLI Visual Indicator" option under 3D Settings disappeared. After a lot of reading, I found a note on the EVGA site that said that after installing the latest driver update, SLI users should install the latest SLI Enhancement Patch. I found and installed the patch, and then the SLI option was available under 3D Settings. Give it a try. It might work for you too.

mountaindew2k

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

I read about this problem everyday.
What lan drivers are being installed with your evga motherboard and win7?
I have an asus mother board and had exact same problem.
Enable sli and get a bsod on reboot! and or the sli option would not be available to enable.

I did clean install of nvidias newest drivers
Then go into win 7 device manager and rolled back the lan driver to previous version!
Then go to nvidia control panel and enabled sli.
From that point on everthing has worked fine.
best guess is the latest lan drivers in windows 7 are conflicting with sli?
Give this a try?
hope this helps

nikenjeru

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010

You are the man!
I just put together brand new rig, Asus P6T MB, i7-920, 6 MB corsair, Corsair 64 GB SSD, and 2 eVGA 260 GTX in SLI. Fresh install of Windows 7 64 bit, with all the updates (including, I now remember, optional realtek LAN driver update).

I would enable SLI, reboot, get BSOD w/ an IRQ message, go into windows repair, rinse and repeat. After I rolled back the Realtek LAN driver, now works perfectly. Thanks!!

mountaindew2k

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010

Glad I could help!

aphellyon

Distinguished
May 27, 2009

Dooooode! Thanks a million bro. That fixed me right up. Interesting story here...

A little while back, I went sli with my two 275s... things were really glitchy. I would occasionally get BSODs on boot. So I re-installed the nvidia drivers and had the "no sli in the nvid panel" issue. Ended up rolling back the nvid drivers to older versions... which got the sli option back up. I selected it and then updated the drivers to current and everything seemed ok. Had sli working... BSODs were very uncommon, but did occasionally happen while gaming. Anyway... fast forward from a few months to about a week or so ago. I start BSODing on every other boot... forcing me to boot from prev. restore point. So today, it BSODs on boot and the restore doesn't work. I can no longer boot normal mode into my win7 64. Looked at the dumps in safe mode and traced it to nvlddmkm.sys. There are tons of threads out there dealing with this BSOD issue. The fixes range from replacing gpus to reg tdrdelay tweaks to gpu bios flashes. Anyways, Looks like the realtek driver update from a previous update was the culprit. Also found some support for this over on the evga forum. Interestingly enough, the guys over on the window7forums haven't figured it out as fas as I can tell. Anyway, just trying to spread the word.

Thanks again bro.

Aphellyon

koruptdm9

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Thanks mountaindew2k!!!!

I joined this forum just so I could thank you. I spent 2 DAYS trying to figure this out! I never would have thought of the LAN driver causing the BSOD on boot.