Sign in with
Your question

H55m ud2h + i3 530 = no video

Last response: in Motherboards
July 8, 2010 7:30:41 AM

Hi to all,
first post in this forum, unfortunately with a problem.
My specs are:
h55m ud2h (rev 1.0)+i3 530 + Kingston ValueRAM, 2x2GB Kit, DDR3-1333, CL9 + Silverstone Strider ST60F 600W. There are more components, but i am unable to post even with these only. The psu is connected to both the 24 pin and the 4 pin, which i assume is fine. When i push the ON button, fans start to spin, two phase leds are glowing and it seems to be working. However, there is no video output via the D-SUB to my monitor. Any suggestions?

thanks,
gaburko

More about : h55m ud2h 530 video

July 8, 2010 8:35:43 AM

Was wondering - could it be that because its revision 1, the BIOS might not be supporting the i3? Can someone confirm what is the default BIOS of a revision 1 mobo? F4 or below?
m
l
a c 79 V Motherboard
July 8, 2010 2:33:07 PM

What BIOS version depends on the manufacturer date. I doubt CPU compatibility is the problem, though. There's a link to a troubleshooting checklist in my signature. Let us know how it goes after you've performed every step in the checklist.
m
l
Related resources
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 8, 2010 3:32:32 PM

You've a really odd conundrum here - never have seen anything like it...

The CPU support list for your board shows every processor as requiring BIOS rev F4 or higher, but the BIOS list shows BIOS 'stretching back' to F1, which, as usual, is listed as "First release"!

Quote:
Can someone confirm what is the default BIOS of a revision 1 mobo? F4 or below?

There is no way to know this - the boards always leave the factory with whatever BIOS is current - at the time of their manufacture! This is one reason I recommend getting components, in general, from someone who moves a lot of merchandise, like NewEgg. Gotta figure, the board gets made, likely goes to a jobber or factor who handles the export/import, then to a couple wholesalers; then, depending on the 'volume' of the retailer, either directly to them, or through a further 'chain' of 'middlemen'; then sits on the shelf patiently 'till someone 'cracks their credit card' and orders the poor, lonely thing. Now, if you look closer at the BIOS list, you'll see that the first four BIOS releases covered a span of a mere nineteen days!

I dunno about you, but leaves me with the basic question "what the hell did revs F1 through F3 support, if it wasn't processors?" "You can plug in, perhaps, a cricket, or a praying mantiss?" I guess the situation might be that the early BIOS revs were bad enough, in one way or another, that GB doesn't recommend you use 'em for anything, but you'd think there'd be some kind of annotation... There is often the situation, especially with 'second steppings', where the processor you have selected isn't supported by the 'as shipped' BIOS - many people have faced this with the new 'hexacores', from both Intel and AMD, over the past couple months. For the AMDs, I have recommended a cheap $36 Athlon - but the Intel folks have a 'higher hurdle' - there are no 'iCores' that can really be considered 'cheap'!

It's alway possible that the first three releases never got a chance to 'hit the shelves', but, then, why are they even listed? I'm lost here; I'd suggest you ask LSDmeASAP over at TweakTown, as I know he occasionally speaks to GB tech suopport, or pose the question to GB tech support themselves...

As for the system, and troubleshooting, you already mention having tried it with most everything disconnected, and that's exactly the technique! If you haven't tried exactly this, might want to:

Board out, on a non-conducting surface:

Another item worth mention at this point is case speakers: if you haven't got one - get one!
http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html
A lot of people operate under the misaprehension that the 'diagnostic beeps' should come through the speakers attached to their sound-card/chip - not so! Your three hundred dollar Altec-Lansings won't do you any good here - you have to have a case speaker attached to the front panel header, and, often by this point, it's the only diagnostic info you'll have to go on...

The standard 'strip-down':

Power down at PSU switch
remove everything except
CPU and heatsink/fan (check carefully that the fan retaining pins are fully inserted, completely locked, and not cracked)
one stick of RAM, in white slot closest to CPU
video card and monitor connector (if more than one PCIe slot, again, in slot closest to CPU)
all power plugs - 20+4 or 24, 2x2 or 2x4 ATX power
case speaker and power switch connectors
keyboard (don't need a mouse at this point)
depress FP power swirtch, and hold depressed for twenty seconds
place jumper on RST_CMOS pins
remove jumper from RST_CMOS pins
power up at PSU switch
power up by depressing case power switch
If you get video, enter BIOS with <DEL> (may need a <TAB> to get to POST screen, if 'splash' screen is enabled)
Select and execute "Load Optimized Defaults" - save and exit, reboot
power down
reinsert other components, one at a time, testing each time after addition...

The board in the picture is in my shop now - a GA-H55M-USB3, which is pretty close to the same board as yours, and - I'm damned impressed! Threw an i5-650 in, and took five or eight minutes to take it to 4GHz - no huhu! Also, as I wanted to 'stretch' the Clarkdale a bit, I spec'd memory that I figured would be too fast - some G.Skill 7-8-7-24 1600 - also 'dialed-in' without a hitch!
m
l
July 8, 2010 3:47:00 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
What BIOS version depends on the manufacturer date. I doubt CPU compatibility is the problem, though. There's a link to a troubleshooting checklist in my signature. Let us know how it goes after you've performed every step in the checklist.

thanks for the link. I did everything in it - still the same thing. now the motherboard is out of the case and i have only the CPU, the cooler and one memory in the right slot (white colored one - DDR3_1). Nothing. the two phase leds are illuminated, but nothing...
m
l
July 8, 2010 3:51:12 PM

bilbat said:

all power plugs - 20+4 or 24, 2x2 or 2x4 ATX power

you mention 24 or 2x4 ATX power. In my case i have both the 24 pin AND the 2x4 (next to the CPU) - if i have only the 24 pin, the fans dont even start. is that correct - should i have both connectors "powered"?
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 8, 2010 4:00:37 PM

Yup - you've got it right. Pretty lame nowadays, but most PSUs still have the 24 'split' into a 20 and a 4 to support (ancient, like me [:bilbat:6] ) boards that only had a 20... Typically, the 4 on the 20+4 is harnessed or wire-tied short enough so you can't mistake it for the CPU ATX2x2 - but, matters not, as the actual ATX plugs are 'keyed' differently - you'd need a good sized hammer to put either into the wrong spot!
m
l
July 15, 2010 6:05:09 AM

Fixed! it was a faulty motherboard. Now i am a happy owner of a very quiet htpc in an antec fusion case :-)
thanks guys
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 15, 2010 4:33:29 PM

Excellent! 'Ya know, I just finished up an H55M-USB3 for someone, and my first thought was: "with a bit slower CPU, a passive sink, and a quiet PSU - this thing'd make one helluvan HTPC!" How do you like the case? I've got a TV machine or two 'to be built' whenever Ceton gets it together, and people have, say, six month's experience with'em...
m
l
July 16, 2010 8:07:25 AM

The case is great! i read quite a few stories of the difficulties integrating imon+logitech harmony remote + windows media center. To be honest - i configured this for about 20 min. and my wife was already watching tv through the HTPC. the CPU - an i3 is cooled passively by a Prolimatech Samuel 17 CPU Cooler, the PSU is a Silverstone Nightjar ST45NF (fanless) and the only fans are the ones on the case. Which i plan to remove anyway as the temp. of the case right now does not exceed 37 degrees celsius
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 16, 2010 3:21:19 PM

Hoo-raw! Thans, ever so much, for the parts list! Pretty much all on my 'to do list': find a fanless PSU and a passive cooler likely to work... Someone's 'this is working' is worth, to me, at least fifty NE reviews (and I'm kind of leery of those - seems half the people reviewing are somewhat dumber than your average handfull of driveway gravel [:bilbat:2] )! Which i3 did'ya pick?

'Ya know, I have a Harmony, and it's kind of sitting here and doing nothing. I bought it because my dad is 'terminally technically challenged'; he gets into situations on his simply browsing machine where I have to scratch my head for a half-hour figuring out "now how in the hell did you manage this?" I put my parents in a nice 55" with an audio system (and he has to have a VCR, yet!); there's a DVR on it, sitting unused, because he refuses to learn it; I thought - I'll get him a Harmony, program everything into easy menu selections, and he'll get more utility from the whole setup. Fiddled with it for a week, in the mornings before anyone is up but me, gave it to him - buttons are too small, too many of 'em (JUST use the menus!), and the menu print is too fine! [:lectrocrew:7] And, for my part, I've got a cheap crapper remote that came with my HVR-2250 - and one of the things I absolutely love about Media Center is the control simplicity! It 'reuses' buttons for multiple functions, and they're all immediately intuitive! I've found the Harmony just means I need to look at the control - which I never have to do with the 'cheapy'...

Quote:
i read quite a few stories of the difficulties integrating imon+logitech harmony remote + windows media center.

[:bilbat:9] From answering questions here, I've become aware there are a lot of people floating around who'd apparently have trouble 'integrating' a piece of rye into their toaster if all they were used to was white bread! And, somehow, most of 'em have become convinced that they should 'build' their own computer!
m
l
July 19, 2010 8:25:16 PM

i picked up the i3 530 (2.93 Ghz). Right now the whole setup is working fine, the only thing i still need to figure out is the satellite. I have a hauppauge 4400 and the terrestrial works great, but the satellite comes through a box and when i connect it media center complains about "ir hardware not detected". But apart from that - really happy with the system, the performance and the noise level - practically no noise
m
l
!