Rad on air conditioning

robthatguyx

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
i was wondering if anyones taken a rad and put it right up against a portable air conditioner so cold air is being blown through it instead of hot case air, what were your results? i mean like having a 480mm with a push pull with cougar fans so the air is still forced through not just blown on it, id imagine 55 degree air would cool better than 80-90 degree air no?

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
Yeah it would definitely cool better. If you think about it, that's very similar to just keeping your room temperature at 55 Degrees F. Just make sure you put the rad in front of the cool air blowing out. That'll work better.

If the water temp ever got to sub-ambient levels, I'd imagine that could cause condensation. Not sure how possible that is with just a window unit/portable A/C cooling the rad, though.

tougas

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
it could oxidize some of the metals on the rad and i have a feeling the very drastic cooling effect because if the large temp difference may be harmful to the WC system. i could be wrong, probably am

rwguessjr

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
i am doing something similar in my game room.
i have a wall ac in the room. i keep it on constant 68 degrees and have the cold air feeding into the top of my case. this works really well....

i have a h80 on the cpu and 2 480s on air. the lan li case is so cold it will cool pop cans for you. the highest temp on my 6core is 40 degrees on 100% load on 12 threads.

with the 480s oc to 750 @75% fan they stay some where around 75-80' on full load.

i had wanted custom water but since i have done this its so easy and works well that i will be staying with this setup...

i never ever have issues with condensation. period. and i live in louisiana wich is a swamp state...

i would very much suggest people give this a try since the house came with the wall ac i had next to no cost to implement this and since i have to run it any was to cool the room is a win all around.

the only thing i would change is... getting some duct work to make a air channel from my top 3 fan mounts direct to the exaust on the ac..

not real sure if its worth the effort since the cold air blows direct over the top intakes and sits less that 4 inches from the ac...

im kinda thinking of something like a air dam on a car to channel the most cold air from the ac direct to inside the pc.

but like i said it works well as is...

ymmv...

Using an AC like that yields inconsistent temps simply because the AC is designed to cool a room by cycling the compressor, at it's hi level it's outputting the coolest air through the coils, then the compressor shuts off and the air temperature outputting from the AC begins to rise, until it reaches it's compressor cut in point.

Putting a radiator in front of the cold air output will give you cooler than ambient but not to the extreme you may be expecting, if your AC compressor ran constantly, then you'd get some serious cooling results, but the entire AC would freeze over and eventually burn up.

It's not a constant temperature it's a variable temperature and even though it may be lower than ambient possibility it can also be an inconsistent overclock temperature level, if you need a specific temperature to remain stable.

I took my office AC and ported the air directly into my PC lower intake, but the on/off compressor running proved to be too unreliable to depend on, you may get better results by putting a radiator directly in the cold air path, because you will be cycling water as your coolant, but it probably will not perform as you imagine it will.

Try it and let us know what happens?