/ Sign-up
Your question

Wireless router wall penetration

  • Wireless Router
  • Routers
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 13, 2010 4:48:17 PM


I have an DSL line at home for 512 mbps provided by the local Internet provider. I would like to install a wirless router now and went down to the Electronics store to buy one.

But when I reached the electrocnics shop saw 2 different models as WRT320N(Dual Band Wieless N-Gigabit Router) and another one WAG160N (Wireless N ADSL2+ Gateway).

I was not able to make up my mind on which one to take.

Appreciate if any one could advise me what would be the best choice to go for here.



More about : wireless router wall penetration

March 13, 2010 6:13:08 PM

If you have DSL, then you'll need a DSL modem. The WRT320N would work as your router, but you still need to have a DSL modem (either from your ISP or purchased by you separately). The WAG160N is a combo unit, it's BOTH a DSL modem and router.

So minimally you need to determine where your DSL modem is coming from, the ISP or is it your obligation to purchase one.

And btw, dual-band isn't really necessary unless you have a need to support 5GHz wireless clients. Most ppl only need the more popular 2.4GHz band and will consider 5GHz if the 2.4GHz band is too congested and causing excessive interference. Doesn't hurt to have it, but it's a waste a money if you don't really have the need.