Power Supply Power Cord?

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
I'm currently looking at Antec Earthwatt series and I just found out they don't provide us with the power cord? Where do I buy the power cord? Is all power cord compatible? I have a really old one :/

Antec does not always include a power cord. Here is what Antec has to say about that:

"No power cord included. By reusing your existing cord, you can reduce waste and help protect the environment"

It is most prevalent with their new Eartwatts Green models.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
You can use any of them 3 pin plugs in that shape. Same one as the PS3, most LCD telly's and monitors aswell thesedays. Bit arsey of them not to provide one though. Protecting the environment by forcing you to buy one in its own individual plastic wrapper.. Nice.. Very Nice

mi1ez

Splendid

They're assuming most people will be replacing a PSU or building a replacement PC and thus will have an existing lead. A fair assumption in most cases, although obviously it will put some people out.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah thats what it said :( since im a total noob I was like wth what im gonna do ><

No. All power cords are not the same. The plugs all match, but some have heavier cords and therefore a greater current capacity. The way to tell if your cord is adequate: Run your equipment with it for an hour. Feel the cord. If it is warm to the touch, you need a better (heavier) power cord.

Or just look at the rating. Many power cords have a rating on them somewhere (in amps). Assuming your PSU is a modern one with active PFC, you'll need about 1 amp for every hundred watts of PSU capacity. All standard power cords (aside from ridiculously thin ones) should be good to at least 3 or 4 amps, so unless you have fairly high power needs on your system, any generic power cord should do.