Problem with IDE/Sata drives

csaasc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Hi,

My motherboard is MSI 870-G45, running with athlonX3 450.

I plugged my HDD and optical drive using sata cables.

However, when I go to the BIOS, no sata devices are detected.
If I look up at the boot sequence, I can see both devices, but they are IDE.

(i.e. IDE optical drive..
IDD HDD
)

How is that possible?
How can I fix it?

Thanks!

Solution
In the BIOS Setup screens under Integrated Peripherals, go to the On-Chip ATA Devices line and hit Enter (see Manual page 3-11). In the sub-menu, make sure that the SATA ports and controller are Enabled. You do NOT need to enable RAID on another line.

Back out and go to the Standard CMOS Features - manual pages 3-6 and 3-7. Page 3-6 shows a menu in which the 2 possible IDE devices are clearly different from the 6 possible SATA devices. Is that how your screen looks? If you have your devices connected to SATA ports, that is where they should be on this screen.

Now go to the Advanced BIOS Features screen, Boot Sequence, and hit Enter. If you hit Enter again on the 1st Boot Device line, you should get to choose which item is first...

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
It may just be listing the IDE devices, but it actually doesn't "see" them....

Make sure you turn your SATA 0 and SATA 1 ports to 'Enable".... also make sure you have them plugged into the SATA 0 and SATA 1 ports.... or just enable them all and see where it finds them....

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
In the BIOS Setup screens under Integrated Peripherals, go to the On-Chip ATA Devices line and hit Enter (see Manual page 3-11). In the sub-menu, make sure that the SATA ports and controller are Enabled. You do NOT need to enable RAID on another line.

Back out and go to the Standard CMOS Features - manual pages 3-6 and 3-7. Page 3-6 shows a menu in which the 2 possible IDE devices are clearly different from the 6 possible SATA devices. Is that how your screen looks? If you have your devices connected to SATA ports, that is where they should be on this screen.

Now go to the Advanced BIOS Features screen, Boot Sequence, and hit Enter. If you hit Enter again on the 1st Boot Device line, you should get to choose which item is first. Having done that, if you want to have a second choice, it seems you need to select Yes on the next line. Then I assume (the manual does not say clearly) you will have some way to select that second device. For example, many people would set the optical drive as the first choice, and the HDD as second.

If the SATA devices show up on the Standard CMOS Features screens as SATA devices, but are changed to IDE devices on the Boot Sequence screens, don't worry. I have seen several BIOS's the incorrectly label SATA devices as if they were some kind of extra IDE device beyond the first real IDE devices. I call that bad labelling, but it does not actually cause a problem with the operation.

Solution

csaasc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Thank you guys for all your help!

However, I have looked in the BIOS for what you described.

In the On-Chip Ata Devices Line, it was already enabled.

The same problem still lingers... Everything works fine though.

The only thing going wrong is in the Standard CMOS Features, no sata port lists my HDD nor my Optical Drive...

Is it only bad labelling, or does it function slower?

Thanks again!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Probably just bad labelling. But even if your SATA units were treated as latest-generation IDE units, the data transfer rates would not be much different. Fastest IDE interface is 133 MB/s, and most SATA drives can transfer between 80 and 160 MB/s, even though the interface design can max out much faster. The rotating drive mechanism is simply not faster than that.

I do think it really odd, though, that devices plugged into a SATA port should appear in BIOS on an IDE port. Are you sure they are SATA? They are NOT connected to the mobo port by a ribbon cable with 80 wires and about 2¼" wide?

csaasc

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

Thank you for your reply!

Of course, they are connected through sata ports.

Anyways, everything works fine so I guess I won't worry too much about that.

Cheers!