$800 Budget gaming rig, some parts already purchased.

IronEagle410

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Hello and thanks for reading. I am currently buying parts for my very first system build and am stuck on motherboard/cpu cooler selection. Could also use advice on the remaining parts aswell. Here is the info in accordance with the new system build template posted.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next 2 months BUDGET RANGE: $800 Before Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming primarily with web serfing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, cpu Q6700, RAM 4 gb (2 @2gb modules) corsair XMS2 6400,MX-2 Thermal paste, antec nine hundered case, and 24' LCD

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Tiger direct and new egg COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: Nvidia cards. Best performance possible

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe SLI.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Windows 7 64 bit a must.

Parts already purchased:

Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB)

CPU was bundled with this at the time for $249. Intel Socket 775 q6700

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Retail

So as you can see I still need a PSU, HDD, DVD/CD-RW, Motherboard, and CPU cooler. Was also thinking about an additional 120mm fan for the side of the case. The big problem im having is with a motherboard/cooler selection. $363.95 has been spent so far from my budget leaving $463.05 but if I could get the rest for about $400 my wife would be happy =) Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Forgot to mention I have a nvidia 8800gts ill be using for a bit after system is built so minus the g-card. Thanks!

LStaunton

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
mate, dont buy parts until you know your build. Its like my walking down the street now, walking into a pc shop and asking for a am2 proccessor + an am3 only board.

You can buy mouse keyboard screen and os but nothing else without knowing your build.

vznoobie12

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
You should be fine with a Q6700, depending on how good a video card you upgrade to. Granted, if you hadn't already bought it, it would be more wise to go with a budget AM3 build. 775 is pretty much on it's way out the window. Not to say that it presently sucks, but if you'll probably want to get a totally new rig in a bit sooner than you would expect if you want to have a competitive gaming comp.

Well, if there is a plus side, 775 mobos are dirt cheap:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128357

Your PSU would depend on what gpu you plan on getting. 500-550w from a reputable brand (Corsair, Antec, PCP&C, Seasonic, etc.) will give you clearance for most single cards.

Optical drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118030&cm_re=dvd%2fcd_rw-_-27-118-030-_-Product

Cheap and awesome cpu cooler:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065&cm_re=hyper_212%2b-_-35-103-065-_-Product

EDIT: whoops, copy/pasted message over instead of newegg link

^+1. Socket 775 doesn't "suck," it's just old tech. No new CPUs will be released for it. That said, it will be a long time before an overclocked Q6700 will be inadequate. The only issue you may encounter is the SLI chipset boards for S775 aren't known for stability. If you get a single-GPU board, then vznoobie's PSU recommendation is good. GPU power requirements seem to finally be heading back down, or at least leveling off. Your existing video card will struggle on new games at your resolution. If you're determined to stick with nVidia, try to wait until their next series comes out. Otherwise, a single HD5770 would be a nice step up for you. If you get a Crossfire board (X38 or X48 for S775, not P35 or P45; insufficient lanes), you could add another one later. If you might go that way, get a 750W PSU. I'm partial to Antec, also like Seasonic, have an Enermax in storage as a backup, and would also readily buy Corsair or PC Power & Cooling. I'd skip OCZ unless the specific unit had received a good competent technical review. Antec Earthwatts or Truepower would be good choices for you.

IronEagle410

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Thank you for the replies. This whole build started because of a friend who builds regularly. I told him my budget and hey briefly made something up for me. Here is the build we were going for until I started to second guess.

Intel Q6700 ONLY the cpu

Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB)

EVGA nforce 780i SLI Motherboard - A1 Version, NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI

Cooler Master Gemini II S CPU Fan - Socket 775, AM2/AM2+, Copper Heatpipe

I left out the HDD ect as they are basic. Is this a viable option?

Also came across this board GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail is it worth it?