NeoValence

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Hi All, :hello:

Soon I'll be upgrading to a new rig the motherboard I'll be getting is the ASUS M4N98TD EVO. The CPU will be dictated somewhat by the RAM I choose. I need help deciding which is the best possible gaming RAM to buy. I use my computers for mostly gaming, digital content creation and graphics programming.

Anyway I've narrowed the choices down to these 2 kits:

A.) G.SKILL [ FLS ] F3-16000CL7D-4GBFLS

CAS Latency 7-9-7-24
Capacity 4GB(2GB x 2)
Speed DDR3-2000 (PC3 16000)
Test Voltage 1.65 Volts

B.) Corsair CMG4GX3M2A1600C6

CAS Latency 6-6-6-18
Capacity 4GB(2GB x 2)
Speed DDR3-1600 (PC3 12800)
Test Voltage 1.65V

Here are some of the reviews I've found to be helpful:

This one show the actual motherboard I want with the Corsair kit from above:
http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=120367

Here's one showing the G.SKILL modules from above:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=254482

Now from looking at these reviews I can see that the Corsair sticks get lower times in Super Pi, but what's throwing me off is the differences in the CPUs and the RAM speeds that were used for each review. If these were the same I believe this would be a no brain er which is why I'm asking for help on this one.

Thanks in advance!

Neo

Solution
The performance difference will be less than .02 percent meaning you won't notice between 87 frames per seconf and 87.1 frames per second.

Super Pi has more to with CPU Ghz than with memory timings.

I prefer G.Skill, never had issues even when overclocking them.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
The performance difference will be less than .02 percent meaning you won't notice between 87 frames per seconf and 87.1 frames per second.

Super Pi has more to with CPU Ghz than with memory timings.

I prefer G.Skill, never had issues even when overclocking them.

Solution

NeoValence

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

Ok cool, what's the equation you used to calculate those percentages?

NeoValence

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Thanks, I see the light now after much reading throughout the forums. Though I was hoping for some cold hard science to prove what most are similarly proclaiming regarding this issue.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

You can find your own cold hard science now. If you have a system with DDR2800 memory, run Super Pi and records results. Then go into the BIOS and underclock the memory to 667, run Super Pi and compare results.

NeoValence

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010

You're losing me, :??: I believe that's a bit besides the point of the original question... i.e. Which RAM is better? Let me make myself clear, I totally get the fact the Super Pi results are more a measure of CPU performance rather than that of RAM. Thanks for your input here it's very much so, appreciated.
[:jaydeejohn:8] I just received the aforementioned G.SKILL kit, ASUS motherboard along with an AMD Phenom II X61055T. [:rocket_sauce] I must say these Flare kits for the hex core are pretty nice as well as easy to dial in to spec.

TRENDING THREADS