Phenom II x4 965 Overclocking Voltage?

Sean567

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
can i overclock my 965 to 3.8 and leave the voltage on auto or do i have to input a manual voltage such as 1.45 as many people have stated is a stable config?

You could just chuck those settings on and hope your chips up to it, and that your mobo doesn't overenthusiastically pump the voltage up
or you could check out the Black edition guide up top for more detailed guidance, setting your own voltage requires a decent amount of time finding the lowest V that will hold your chosen clockspeed,
and the lower the V's, the lower your temps
Moto

Sorry if my first response was unclear, I do recommend setting the value manually,
I was just making Op aware that its a timeconsuming process,
I much prefer to set my own settings as then I know what they are, instead of the Psu/Mobo going mental on me and frying something :)
Moto

Augray37

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

Ya think? Idk, I like amd overdrive, works like a charm for me. I know it's not orthodox, but I still like it.

ew AMD OD? Really? To each their own I guess. Try 3.8GHz on auto, boot up and see what your motherboard is using for voltage. Then you can try to adjust the voltage manually taking it down a notch or two until it's unstable. Bump it back up one or two and test it out.

@Aug, i started on my old X3 435 with overdrive, it wouldn't go past 3.2GHz with stupid V's,
I learned a bit more once I built my 975 rig, went back and I got 3.5GHz out of it with reasonable temps :)
and I've managed 4.5 out of the 975 too, something that overdrive couldn't touch
manual ftw hehe
Overdrive had the effect of interesting me in clocking, but I soon grew out of it and wanted more hehe
@ Sean, no probs man, anytime
Moto

Augray37

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
@moto, yeah my mobo is really cheap and it only over/under volts in 0.05v increments in the BIOS, which is a big friggin step in my opinion, so overdrive has been awesome for me. Maybe if I had a nicer mobo I'd feel differently.