Deciding how I want to utilize new SSD short term

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
So after playing the SWTOR beta this weekend I found that while the performance in game was ok, loading times were quite slow.

I'd been intending to build a new system after the holidays anyway, but I've been keeping an eye on SSD's for any great deals meanwhile. I found a 120GB Vertex 3 for $150 on newegg today, so I ordered it with the intention of using it in my current rig for now, and then moving it to be the system drive in my new PC.

I just can't decide between;

A: Installing it in my current system just as an extra drive for SWTOR.

B: Doing the above, but with a freash install of windows on my existing HDD 1st.

C: Doing a fresh install on my existing system with the SSD as a boot drive & SWTOR on it.

Obviously 'C' would be the fastest, but a decent ammount of extra work if I am going to remove the SSD in 1-4 months as I would have to reinstall windows back to the HDD then. So the question is, is it worth it? How much speed gain would I notice exactly installing the OS to the SSD as opposed to just SWTOR?

My current system is a Core2 Duo @3.2, 4GB RAM, GTX260, Win7 Ult x64, 2x 320 GB HDD's (1 for OS & 1 for games). (No SATA3.

Thoughts?

Why would you install the OS on the new build on a standard HDD??
I don't think you are gonna notice much difference by just installing the game on an SSD. Since this is an online game, load times may be more affected by your internet connection than anything else.

So in your shoes, I'd do a fresh install of windows on the SSD. Enjoy the wicked fast responsive system for a couple of months, and go ahead and put SWTOR on that drive. The when the new rig arrives, go ahead and reinstall windows again and enjoy the fast system.

I can see no benefit to using the mechanical drive as a boot drive. Uses that drive a data/application drive if you fill the SSD.

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
The new build will have the SSD as the boot drive buzznut. It's the current build that I will be adding the SSD to for a couple of months (Hoping to hold off until Ivy if it performs well enough on live) that I wasn't sure what to do with.

When I do the rest of the new build the SSD will be removed from this one to use as a boot drive in the new system, so if I put Windows on it now I'd have to reinstall it back to the HDD on this system when the SSD becomes my boot drive on the new system in a couple months. But if I keep Windows on the HDD for my current system, then when I remove the SSD in a couple months I won't have to reinstall the OS on the old system again at that time.

From what I've read, SWTOR's zoning times should show decent gains for having it on A SSD overall. I just don't know if having windows on the SSD will actually affect the game performance itself much, or just windows loading itself.