Sign in with
Your question

WC kit or part it out?

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2012 5:47:07 PM

i am really considering watercooling because i fold 24/7 and at my current overclock(4.6) i am sitting at 65*c and i want to lower that for a 24/7 load.

i wondering if i should go with something along these lines
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11743/ex-wat-159/XSPC...

or should i part it out as i already have a large radiator from a small 2 stroke engine 7 3/4x10 which is huge and wont fit in many cases. i also have tubing and fittings abundant. prices for tubing and fittings are robbery and i feel like they prey on the ignorant. i just want plain fittings nothing fancy at all.

so what do you think. is the xspc kits good for what i want. i dont think i will go past a 4.8 overclock and i MIGHT cool my gpu later but not now.

More about : kit part

a c 331 K Overclocking
June 23, 2012 5:50:43 PM

You don't have to spend money on compression fittings...your local hardware store has a lot of choices that are suitable alternatives.

What is this radiator made of that you mentioned? Watercooling radiators are meant to be lower restriction and better flowing under lower temperatures and pressures...automotive radiators are designed to be the opposite in almost every category.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2012 5:58:42 PM

rubix_1011 said:
You don't have to spend money on compression fittings...your local hardware store has a lot of choices that are suitable alternatives.

What is this radiator made of that you mentioned? Watercooling radiators are meant to be lower restriction and better flowing under lower temperatures and pressures...automotive radiators are designed to be the opposite in almost every category.

it is an aluminum radiator with 5/8s openings. i think that radiator will be good enough to handle it. as the motor it was designed to cool put out over 20k watts but at larger cfm(10-15 times more actually) so cooling a 150 watt cpu shouldnt be a problem.

but if i can get a kits that will give me great temps for around 150 then that would be the easiest. also as of right now i can not fit anything more then 2 240 radiators... fyi.

case right now is a cheap coolermaster case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

but thinking about getting an Arc Midi case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
a c 331 K Overclocking
June 23, 2012 6:04:33 PM

Quote:
it is an aluminum radiator with 5/8s openings

Aluminium- Bad news with copper and brass in a loop. Google 'galvanic corrosion'.

Are you looking at cooling only your CPU? 2600K @ 4.5, you should be fine with a 240 and decent fans- you are really only looking at 160w or less at load.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2012 6:08:57 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:
it is an aluminum radiator with 5/8s openings

Aluminium- Bad news with copper and brass in a loop. Google 'galvanic corrosion'.

Are you looking at cooling only your CPU? 2600K @ 4.5, you should be fine with a 240 and decent fans- you are really only looking at 160w or less at load.

haha thats the situation the radiator came from... a system composed of brass and more aluminum and it resulted in slight corrosion inside but im leaning towards a kit since it will be easier.

so what kit would be best for me just cooling a cpu overclocked anywhere from 4.5-4.8... the one i linked earlier or what?
m
l
a c 331 K Overclocking
June 23, 2012 8:44:02 PM

Overclocking isn't necessarily limited on CPU heat; it's much more the potential of your components and your ability to implement the settings and make adjustments as needed to reach your goal. Over 4.5ghz, the voltages needed to sustain those clocks (1.45-1.5+) are detrimental to the longevity of the CPU itself.

Why do you need 4.5+ on that CPU? There isn't anything that will benefit from that speed over what you'd see at 4.2-4.4ghz.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2012 9:04:35 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Overclocking isn't necessarily limited on CPU heat; it's much more the potential of your components and your ability to implement the settings and make adjustments as needed to reach your goal. Over 4.5ghz, the voltages needed to sustain those clocks (1.45-1.5+) are detrimental to the longevity of the CPU itself.

Why do you need 4.5+ on that CPU? There isn't anything that will benefit from that speed over what you'd see at 4.2-4.4ghz.

you misunderstood i believe, the computer is already overclocked to 4.7 @ 1.385v and i just want lower 24/7 temps. my sig is not updated.

with that said i believe my best option is either the xspc rasa 750 rs240 or rx240. my main questions are: is the rx240 radiator going to get me a lot better temps or is the rs240 enough and is there a better option out there for this price range.
m
l
!