PCI-E 2.0 Video card in PCI-E 1.0 Slot?

Solution
D
It should work....all PCI Express is supposed to be backwards compatible. There were some early issues though if I remember right. If it does not work you can always RMA it.

I am pretty sure you could go with an ATI HD 4650 or HD 4670 with that power supply. Either would be faster than the 9500GT and should be close in price. Also look for DDR3 if you can find it since it is faster. These lower end cards can not make use of 1gb of memory either...just not enough processing power. They put 1gb on them as a marketing gimmick so 512mb would be fine.

Here is what I would get its even $10 cheaper http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=44972&vpn=AX4670%201GBK3%2DPH&manufacture=PowerColor

Check out the hierarchy chart...
D

Deleted member 217926

Yes it will run fine. Only the highest end video cards even come close to needing PCI Express 2.0. It was developed to be futureproof.

D

Deleted member 217926

Everything should be backwards compatable but if you will post a link to your motherboard and the card we can be more sure.

D

Deleted member 217926

It should work....all PCI Express is supposed to be backwards compatible. There were some early issues though if I remember right. If it does not work you can always RMA it.

I am pretty sure you could go with an ATI HD 4650 or HD 4670 with that power supply. Either would be faster than the 9500GT and should be close in price. Also look for DDR3 if you can find it since it is faster. These lower end cards can not make use of 1gb of memory either...just not enough processing power. They put 1gb on them as a marketing gimmick so 512mb would be fine.

Here is what I would get its even $10 cheaper http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=44972&vpn=AX4670%201GBK3%2DPH&manufacture=PowerColor

Check out the hierarchy chart http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-310-5970,2491-7.html

Solution
An HD5870 (the current fastest single-GPU card) does not max out a PCIe 2.0 x8 slot. This slot is identical to a PCIe 1.0 x16 slot. They did a test by modifying a x16 PCIe 2.0 slot to run in x8 mode and the benchmarks were identical so it didn't need the extra bandwidth.

It appears that the HD5870 is likely close to maxing out these slots but anyone with such cards would have a x16 slot.

There were a few issues with some of the first PCIe 2.0 graphic cards working correctly with the original PCIe 1.0 slots. These slots were quickly revised to 1.0a version slots though, and the graphic cards that had problems were also quickly revised.
In short, you would have to have one of the very first PCIe 1.0 motherboards ever made, and one of the very first PCIe 2.0 graphic cards ever made to even set up the circumstances that even maybe, might cause a problem.

D

Deleted member 217926

Glad to help. That 4670 should be a pretty good card. Good deal too especially being cheaper than the 5 generations older 9500GT.

Aug 6, 2013
It didn`t work for me.
HP MIS AMETHYST-M with 2006 3.47 BIOS (updated)

Kicking up a dead thread I know; but I don`t like to leave other peole reading persistently false information.

So I have a `HP` PCI-e 1.0 x16 Motherboard (Old Athlon x64 chip), and I have bought TWO HD7770`s over the months (PCI-e 3.0 x16) and NEITHER Work in the motherboard, no matter which drivers I try and use; after I read dozens of threads telling me thyat I could as all graphics cards are backwards compatible.
THEY ARE NOT.

You can only use up to a PCI-e 2.0 (NOT 2.1) x16 graphics card in a PCI-e x16 1.0 motherboard.

So; anyone want two HD7770`s barely touched.
The rig works perfect using an old X1950 XTX 512.
But I wanted 1Gb.

?
The best many people in a similar situation can hope for a up to a HD 4970 x2 or something.

After; the 5000 series you need a slot 1.1 or 2.0 or 2.1 Mo-bo

Kill the thread now?