generic laptops

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2004 2:47:22 AM

How can you find out what manafactures use the same company to produce their
laptops?

I am in the market for a no OS laptop and was wondering how to get a "good"
generic laptop?

requirements are..

Pentium M 1.5 or higher.
256 m ram upgradeable to 2 gig.
40+ hard drive
dvd-rom
15 high res screen
good built in video (9700 128 ATI?)
replaceable parts available on ebay?
no OS.

~1200

Thanks for any advice.

More about : generic laptops

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2004 4:54:29 AM

Am Sonntag, 11. Juli 2004 00:47 schrieb Root:

> How can you find out what manafactures use the same company to produce
> their laptops?
>
> I am in the market for a no OS laptop and was wondering how to get a
> "good" generic laptop?
>
> requirements are..
>
> Pentium M 1.5 or higher.
> 256 m ram upgradeable to 2 gig.
> 40+ hard drive
> dvd-rom
> 15 high res screen
> good built in video (9700 128 ATI?)
> replaceable parts available on ebay?
> no OS.
>
> ~1200

The above sounds to me like you would love an older Thinkpad. :-)

You might buy a used one from a company, with 1 year guarantee.

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E

Its seems you pay a premium for the thinkpads.... although nice I don't
think I would maximize my value doing that? I would have to find a heck of a
deal, ebay doesn't seem like there are too many.

"Karl-Heinz Zimmer" <khz@kde.org> wrote in message
Am Sonntag, 11. Juli 2004 00:47 schrieb Root:

> How can you find out what manafactures use the same company to produce
> their laptops?
>
> I am in the market for a no OS laptop and was wondering how to get a
> "good" generic laptop?
>
> requirements are..
>
> Pentium M 1.5 or higher.
> 256 m ram upgradeable to 2 gig.
> 40+ hard drive
> dvd-rom
> 15 high res screen
> good built in video (9700 128 ATI?)
> replaceable parts available on ebay?
> no OS.
>
> ~1200

The above sounds to me like you would love an older Thinkpad. :-)

You might buy a used one from a company, with 1 year guarantee.

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E
Föhren Presentations Beyond Limitations Conquer your Desktop
www.fiehr.de www.indeview.org www.kde.org
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2004 6:09:13 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again - powernotebooks.com and
hypersonic-pc.com. Hypersonic is a bit more designer than power notebooks,
but they both offer a great product at a great price (for hypersonic check
the cx-5).
Richard
"Root" <root@aol.com> wrote in message
> How can you find out what manafactures use the same company to produce
their
> laptops?
>
> I am in the market for a no OS laptop and was wondering how to get a
"good"
> generic laptop?
>
> requirements are..
>
> Pentium M 1.5 or higher.
> 256 m ram upgradeable to 2 gig.
> 40+ hard drive
> dvd-rom
> 15 high res screen
> good built in video (9700 128 ATI?)
> replaceable parts available on ebay?
> no OS.
>
> ~1200
>
> Thanks for any advice.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2004 7:40:45 AM

They look like good companies... however on Hyper the cheapest CX-5 I could
get was

$1,578.00 plus shipping

Not much different from power.

At dell for a 8600 configured the same was with an OS was 1450 free
shipping....

Is it that going generic isn't really cheaper?

"marlin" <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote in message
news:D j1Ic.40144$Xq4.19575@nwrddc02.gnilink.net...
> I've said it before and I'll say it again - powernotebooks.com and
> hypersonic-pc.com. Hypersonic is a bit more designer than power notebooks,
> but they both offer a great product at a great price (for hypersonic check
> the cx-5).
> Richard
> "Root" <root@aol.com> wrote in message
> > How can you find out what manafactures use the same company to produce
> their
> > laptops?
> >
> > I am in the market for a no OS laptop and was wondering how to get a
> "good"
> > generic laptop?
> >
> > requirements are..
> >
> > Pentium M 1.5 or higher.
> > 256 m ram upgradeable to 2 gig.
> > 40+ hard drive
> > dvd-rom
> > 15 high res screen
> > good built in video (9700 128 ATI?)
> > replaceable parts available on ebay?
> > no OS.
> >
> > ~1200
> >
> > Thanks for any advice.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2004 7:49:26 AM

"Root" <root@aol.com> wrote in message news:1F2Ic.8883
> At dell for a 8600 configured the same was with an OS was 1450 free
> shipping....

Are you sure it's the same set up - same graphics, same cpu, same chipset,
etc?

> Is it that going generic isn't really cheaper?

Well, Hypersonic isn't really generic. They are like alienware: a souped-up
pc company. Powernotebooks is pretty generic. Also, google search for sager
and compal. Those two (actually the same thing usually) are generic.
Finally, remember this about Dell - if you ever need tech support, be
prepared to decode a thick Indian accent. Also, the keyboards on Dells are
somewhat flimsy. From the way I hear it (and see it), unless you get a
business dell laptop, you don't get good stuff.
Richard

> "marlin" <marlinspike.nospam@verizon.net.nospam> wrote in message
> news:D j1Ic.40144$Xq4.19575@nwrddc02.gnilink.net...
> > I've said it before and I'll say it again - powernotebooks.com and
> > hypersonic-pc.com. Hypersonic is a bit more designer than power
notebooks,
> > but they both offer a great product at a great price (for hypersonic
check
> > the cx-5).
> > Richard
> > "Root" <root@aol.com> wrote in message
> > > How can you find out what manafactures use the same company to produce
> > their
> > > laptops?
> > >
> > > I am in the market for a no OS laptop and was wondering how to get a
> > "good"
> > > generic laptop?
> > >
> > > requirements are..
> > >
> > > Pentium M 1.5 or higher.
> > > 256 m ram upgradeable to 2 gig.
> > > 40+ hard drive
> > > dvd-rom
> > > 15 high res screen
> > > good built in video (9700 128 ATI?)
> > > replaceable parts available on ebay?
> > > no OS.
> > >
> > > ~1200
> > >
> > > Thanks for any advice.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2004 12:21:52 PM

http://www.powernotebooks.com/welcome/Name_BrandNM.php

> I am in the market for a no OS laptop and was wondering how to get a "good"
> generic laptop?
>
> requirements are..
>
> Pentium M 1.5 or higher.
> 256 m ram upgradeable to 2 gig.
> 40+ hard drive
> dvd-rom
> 15 high res screen
> good built in video (9700 128 ATI?)
> replaceable parts available on ebay?
> no OS.
>
> ~1200
>
> Thanks for any advice.

July 11, 2004 3:01:30 PM

If you don't mind ebay, there's a seller of custom built, generic case-name
brand parts, desktops & laptops in Canada. I purchased my last desktop from
them and was (still am) very happy with my purchase. I can replace any part
in the desktop I want as none of it is proprietary. They come without the
OS and you can either select one they have listed or email them your own
configuration for a price. You'll see prices listed in Canadian dollars,
take 24% off that price and that's what you'll pay. Shipping was fast,
customer service was good (accent differences caused a problem but otherwise
they were very helpful) and they've been selling on ebay for years.

ETC Computers
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherI...

--
Tara
Anonymous

Am Sonntag, 11. Juli 2004 02:43 schrieb Root:

> Its seems you pay a premium for the thinkpads....

Depends on what you call a "premium". Here in Europe I pay just a
little bit more than for another branded laptop.

OK, our laptops are considerable slower than the one you are looking
for: we have CUPs with 266 up to 366 MHz and RAM from 192 to 352.

But these laptops did not cost more than 230,- -- 350,- Euro. :-)

> although nice I don't think I would maximize my value doing that?

This depends on several things, one important is: your aiming at being
able to fix such a laptop yourself: We fix these laptops here (and
we are not a business but just a big family :-)) because IBM has _very_
good, easy to understand technical manuals on their web site: with
nice explosion charts showing how to open replace the different internal
parts like e.g. an LCD inverter.

I was even able to find a manual covering the _old_ ones: got a little
340 CSE for as little as EUR 35,50 and I was easily able to replace
the tiny harddisk by a great 5.6 GB disk: now I have a very nice network
storage device where all the family is making their daily backups to.
:-)

Next there is the nice benefit of having a _large_ marked of replacement
parts, at eBay and on other places. Looking at the respective eBay
lists you will see that there is a big number of parts available, so you
can trust that there is a very good chance to find the thing you need
for fixing the laptop -- should it break.

Another very nice topic is the quality of Thinkpad keyboards: Just see
yourself going to town and test typing on a few laptops in the stores
and you will most likely love the IBM way of making keyboards.

OK, I do not know how good the new ones are, but from our very old
TP 340 to the newer 690X they were all really nice.

> I would have to find a heck of a deal, ebay doesn't seem like there
> are too many.

0. Try to find a dealer giving 1 year guarantee on his used laptops.

1. Look for the CPU speed you need.

2. Get as much RAM as you can afford.

Have fun! :-)

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E
Föhren Presentations Beyond Limitations Conquer your Desktop
www.fiehr.de www.indeview.org www.kde.org
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 12, 2004 2:24:50 AM

Am Sonntag, 11. Juli 2004 02:43 schrieb Root:

> Its seems you pay a premium for the thinkpads....

Depends on what you call a "premium". Here in Europe I pay just a
little bit more than for another branded laptop.

OK, our laptops are considerable slower than the one you are looking
for: we have CUPs with 266 up to 366 MHz and RAM from 192 to 352.

But these laptops did not cost more than 230,- -- 350,- Euro. :-)

> although nice I don't think I would maximize my value doing that?

This depends on several things, one important is: your aiming at being
able to fix such a laptop yourself: We fix these laptops here (and
we are not a business but just a big family :-)) because IBM has _very_
good, easy to understand technical manuals on their web site: with
nice explosion charts showing how to open replace the different internal
parts like e.g. an LCD inverter.

I was even able to find a manual covering the _old_ ones: got a little
340 CSE for as little as EUR 35,50 and I was easily able to replace
the tiny harddisk by a great 5.6 GB disk: now I have a very nice network
storage device where all the family is making their daily backups to.
:-)

Next there is the nice benefit of having a _large_ marked of replacement
parts, at eBay and on other places. Looking at the respective eBay
lists you will see that there is a big number of parts available, so you
can trust that there is a very good chance to find the thing you need
for fixing the laptop -- should it break.

Another very nice topic is the quality of Thinkpad keyboards: Just see
yourself going to town and test typing on a few laptops in the stores
and you will most likely love the IBM way of making keyboards.

OK, I do not know how good the new ones are, but from our very old
TP 340 to the newer 600X they were all really nice.

!