Sign in with
Your question

Buying SSD, is it worth it for my system?

Last response: in Storage
November 28, 2011 9:51:27 PM

Alright. So I have been looking into buying a 60g SSD to put only my operating system and a couple games on. I have a few questions that may determine my purchase.

-I cannot tell if my mobo/chipsets supports Sata 3 - chipset is Nvidia 650i
-If my system can only run @ Sata 2 would the SSD still be an upgrade over the HDD ( I assume yes ) would it be worth the money?
-If I'm Sata 2 limited should i buy the cheapest SSD (if there was no huge boost)

I have had this system a good 3-4 years and this would be the last component i replace, before starting to save for a new pc. I've researched as much as I could so far and I just need some info from ppl more oriented in this area.

System - Win7 64bit-Q9550 2.83ghz-Radeon HD 5870 2gb-8gb GSkill-Nvidia 650i mobo

thanks in advance for your help
a c 180 G Storage
November 28, 2011 10:07:52 PM

Only you can answer worth questions.

Do not be concerned about sata 2/3.
A ssd will do it's job with either.

About 50x faster than hdd in random i/o, and 2-3x faster in sequential.

In principle, buy the cheapest 60gb+ drive, but I would prefer Intel or Samsung for reliability.
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
November 28, 2011 10:27:05 PM

When SSD's came out there was no sata3 so the performance boost is still there over a conventional hdd. Also if you buy a sata3 then when you build your new computer you can uas it for sata3. The one thing I would suggest is if you do go with a sata3 then don't go too small with the SSD , try to get the largest you can possibly afford , 90gb or 120gb or even larger , with the OS a few games and updates you will be surprised how fast it starts to fill up. When you have a regular hdd they have so much capacity that you don't notice it , but SSD's have such a small capacity that you notice right away how much space is being used up.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 28, 2011 10:30:35 PM

cseal0406 said:
Alright. So I have been looking into buying a 60g SSD to put only my operating system and a couple games on. I have a few questions that may determine my purchase.

-I cannot tell if my mobo/chipsets supports Sata 3 - chipset is Nvidia 650i
-If my system can only run @ Sata 2 would the SSD still be an upgrade over the HDD ( I assume yes ) would it be worth the money?
-If I'm Sata 2 limited should i buy the cheapest SSD (if there was no huge boost)

I have had this system a good 3-4 years and this would be the last component i replace, before starting to save for a new pc. I've researched as much as I could so far and I just need some info from ppl more oriented in this area.

System - Win7 64bit-Q9550 2.83ghz-Radeon HD 5870 2gb-8gb GSkill-Nvidia 650i mobo

thanks in advance for your help

Do it, get something like Vertex2@$99.99. It will knock your socks off.

Best thing u can do for your system for only $100 bucks.

U will hardly see busy circle anymore. Launching programs or starting Windows will be blast. U will love it.

Your system will get power boost it have never had.

I had WD 10000RPM V-raptor and this Vertex2 put it to shame.

Good luck.
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
November 28, 2011 10:38:48 PM

I second nikorr's comments... My one concern is your 650i doesn't support AHCI from what I can see. You'll need to run in IDE or RAID mode, which will effect your performance a little on the SSD, since they like the NCQ of AHCI.
m
l
a c 311 G Storage
November 28, 2011 11:13:34 PM

^5 +1 what nikorr and tecmo34 said.
m
l
November 28, 2011 11:27:27 PM

Yeah reasoning for for 60gb size is I'm very budgeted. I would imagine an 80 or 120 for near the price of a 60gb SSD would mean either its very unreliable or just that cheap because its built cheap. As far as size I should be ok, I'm using only 44gb as of now and I just wanted enough room for another game if I wanted to do play. I'll upgrade size down the road when I sort my job situation out. I did read about AHCI but I havne't read enough to understand that end of the SSD/HDD area yet, I never started worrying about that area for gaming til recently being interested in kicking thse long boot times in BF3.

Could you expand more on IDE/RAID mode so I know what to expect when I install.
m
l
November 29, 2011 6:38:31 AM

In addition to the previous information - After some lengthy window shopping newegg I looked over what bestbuy had to offer the SSd world. I did see a Intel 320 series @ 80gb for 60 bucks off listed price for $119, seemed like decent idea for me considering extra gigs for safety and I'll get it payday, no waiting til next week after ordering newegg and weekend coming.
What concerns me is it's listed for laptop which i dont think matters- also says data transfer rate up to 270mb/sec which seems alot lower than most on newegg also. Lasty it lists itself as Serial ATA whereas most online are listed as SATAII or SATAIII.

Any help would be appresciated.

m
l
!