Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What to Run... 4890 vs GTS 250 (hear me out)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2009 7:21:35 AM

So I've built up a nice gaming rig for myself. A Intel i5 w/Gigabyte P55A-UD3. I'm still running my Patriot memory (ELK 1333, overvolted slightly to 1.7 for stability reasons. Patriots seem to need a little extra juice.) and at the moment I'm just powering to hard drives and a DVD Rom as well as a power hungry 4890. My PSU is a thermaltake purepower 2.0 500 Watt PSU. It has 29 Amps on +12V rails ( 14 on one, 15 on the other). I am a little worried about the power use on my machine. I don't think my Corsair H50 uses too much juice but I have 2 200MM case fans installed as well. I have my "old" EVGA GTS 250 1GB Superclocked Edition card sitting in my closet and I was thinking since it uses less power I might put it in my machine until such a time as I can put in a PSU that has more 12V capacity. That's also partly why I am not OCing my i5 750 yet. I tried it and I immediately saw a 85 C temp while stress testing and turned it off. (I was shooting for 4 Ghz, a little ambitious.)

Anyhow what do you all think? In the mean time should I just run my EVGA card and shelve the more power hungry ATi? I won't be doing any real high end gaming. Just TF2 and WoW and maybe some GTA IV. And all of those games seem to be geared more for nvidia anyhow.

All comments welcome.

More about : run 4890 gts 250 hear

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2009 7:32:39 AM

Any source engine game is definitely AMD biased, WoW I wouldn't say matters because it could care less about taking any kind of sophisticated advantage of anything (e.g. people playing it on integrated graphics most of the time), and GTA IV is processor bound. Don't expect to see any performance increases, that's for sure -- as the HD 4870 definitely beats the GTS 250 all the time regardless of game (barring The Last Remnant :lol: ).

Power consumption is roughly 285 watts for the HD 4890 and 237 watts for the GTS 250 under full load. At idle it's 178 watts vs 167 watts, respectively.

As long as you're not seeing any indications that there's a power problem I don't see the issue -- heat is another thing.

Power Consumption - Review Tom's Hardware: GeForce GTS 250: Nvidia's G92 Strikes Again
Power Consumption - Review Tom's Hardware: ATI Radeon HD 4890: Playing To Win Or Played Again?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2009 7:42:59 AM

Honestly, as far as performance is concerned as long as i see decent frame rates at medium to high settings I don't care. The big reason I upgraded my CPU and all that is so I don't have to spend more on gaming consoles (I've had just about every console from the last 2 generations, and it gets expensive. ) So I think I'll just stick with PC and be done with it. Oh and are you SURE the 4890 is roughly 285 Watts? I remember reading that it can only draw 190 Max. But I could be thinking of something else. Lastly should I just say the hell with it and throw in my 2 XFX 4770's in crossfireX? I'm a little worried I wouldn't get good performance because I have a p55a motherboard, and when I start using USB3 and Sata 3 I will lose some PCIE lanes and reduce performance.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2009 7:47:15 AM

Quote:
Honestly, as far as performance is concerned as long as i see decent frame rates at medium to high settings I don't care. The big reason I upgraded my CPU and all that is so I don't have to spend more on gaming consoles (I've had just about every console from the last 2 generations, and it gets expensive. ) So I think I'll just stick with PC and be done with it. Oh and are you SURE the 4890 is roughly 285 Watts? I remember reading that it can only draw 190 Max. But I could be thinking of something else. Lastly should I just say the hell with it and throw in my 2 XFX 4770's in crossfireX? I'm a little worried I wouldn't get good performance because I have a p55a motherboard, and when I start using USB3 and Sata 3 I will lose some PCIE lanes and reduce performance.

Er, you could just go with the HD 4770s. They offer roughly the same performance as an HD 4890 but use less power.

ATI Radeon HD 4770 In CrossFire: Unbeatable At $220
December 19, 2009 3:06:37 PM

Multicard solutions are more prone to failure. I suggest that you stay with your current setup. You should be able to see what is wrong if it not getting enough power.
a c 91 U Graphics card
December 19, 2009 3:17:00 PM

You want to get a better power supply to help provide enough "clean" power to your system. Under powering will create heat issues and your hardware won't run to it's capacity.
The video card.... the 4890. A no brainer here. Stay away from the suggested 4770's. The numbers might be similar but the real life performance isn't there. Higher resolutions and eye candy will prove that.
When you replace your power supply get something with 50-60 amps and forget about the "watts" BS. Had too many immature years where I thought "watts" were everything and never really had a proper PS. I run higher amperage PSU's than needed now.
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2009 3:36:30 PM

A new PSU is probably the best option. Even though things probably run fine now, pushing that PSU to it's 100% capability will create heat, plus will wear out that PSU more quickly. If it's already got a couple years use on it, you could see sudden failure at some point.

As swifty noted, the amperage is important. Pushing to many amps through electrical components that cannot handle them can cause melting/fire.

With regard to the Corsair H50: I've seen a couple folks lately claiming really high temps when trying to OC the i5-750. Is it not a very capable water cooling unit? Considering I can run the Xigmatek S1283 air cooler and push 4Ghz on my i5-750 and only see 72C on my hottest core (Prime95 @ 100%).

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2009 6:43:23 PM

The PSU has another year on warranty, so I'll stick with it until then. As I understand it the 4890 uses about 15A when it's loaded up and I have more than that available. I'm not powering a super computer here. When the warranty is up on the PSU I'll drop some cash on a better one and then go for overclocking. Also in regard to the H50... it's ok. I see a little better temps on it than I did with a Coolermaster 212 Hyper+ but I grant you I was only using one fan. With 2, it would probably be better. Then again that starts getting loud. The H50 is pretty quiet and that's a big concern in a small apartment.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2009 6:46:50 PM

jerreece said:
A new PSU is probably the best option. Even though things probably run fine now, pushing that PSU to it's 100% capability will create heat, plus will wear out that PSU more quickly. If it's already got a couple years use on it, you could see sudden failure at some point.

As swifty noted, the amperage is important. Pushing to many amps through electrical components that cannot handle them can cause melting/fire.

With regard to the Corsair H50: I've seen a couple folks lately claiming really high temps when trying to OC the i5-750. Is it not a very capable water cooling unit? Considering I can run the Xigmatek S1283 air cooler and push 4Ghz on my i5-750 and only see 72C on my hottest core (Prime95 @ 100%).

LOL, "only 72". Oh man that's still too hot in my book. I try to stick to mid 60's at a highest point and low 60's are the most comfortable to me. Then again I admit to being an AMD fan and I am used to what my Phenom II X3 720 was getting. At 3.4 Ghz it was barely going past 33 C!
a c 91 U Graphics card
December 19, 2009 8:51:44 PM

Why do I feel that this was a useless thread ?
a c 212 U Graphics card
December 19, 2009 9:09:52 PM

why do I have deja vu on this topic today ? :) 
!