Sign in with
Your question

How easy is it to transfer a computer to another case?

Last response: in Components
February 27, 2010 1:21:13 PM

How easy would it be to take all the parts from my current pc and put in a new case? I know it's pretty simple to do but is there any dangers to it? Feel free to give me any tips and tricks when selecting a new case and for when moving my components into the new one.
a b ) Power supply
February 27, 2010 1:46:23 PM

Isn't complicated, just make you sure that you are discharged of static current when you start to transfer the components.
m
l
February 27, 2010 2:03:23 PM

To discharge myself of static don't i just make to sure to contiuously touch the case or other metal surface?
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 27, 2010 2:42:07 PM

Yes that will work i always touch a light switch before i touch my computer the light switch is grounded threw the electric wireing in your house which is the best way to discharge static electricity.
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
February 27, 2010 5:12:24 PM

If you have never done this before, take notes, lots of notes, when you disassemble the PC to make sure you do not forget to reassemble something.
m
l
February 27, 2010 5:27:01 PM

So would it be a good idea before i move it to take pictures so i know where all the parts go as well as written notes for certain things then?
m
l
a c 141 ) Power supply
February 27, 2010 6:07:37 PM

Use masking tape to label each wire's end as to what it gets connected and take notes like:

Wire No. 1 - 24 pin from PSU to MoBo (picture no. 1)
Wire No. 2 - 8 pin from PSU to MoBo (picture no. 2)
Wire Nos. 3 & 4 - twin PCI-E connectors to GFX card (picture no. 3)

Use little zip-lok plastic bags w/ labels or coffee cups with masking tape labels to hold screws.
m
l
February 27, 2010 7:57:11 PM

Thanks for the great ideas so far. Now I've heard that you have to be careful when you put the cables back into the mobo (after its been put in the case) because it could bend and break.
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
February 27, 2010 8:28:52 PM

I see there is a lot of great advice here. Way to go guys! ^5 :D 

m
l
February 27, 2010 8:33:08 PM

you should be fine, up until recently all i ever did was replace some ram, change a hard disc or change a Gfx card.

But within the last month i decided to buy a new PSU and replace the old one, add another Fan to my case and replace the heatsink that was on my processor. the last one required me to completely remove my motherboard from the case, then remove the old heatsink and bracket, remove the processor and clean thermal paste from it, all before adding a new bracket more thermal paste and attaching the new heatsink and then putting the enitre system back together again.

this of course didnt come without its problems, the heat generated inside my case caused the screws that were holding the motherboard in place to be really really tight, i had to use a screw driver plus a set of Plyers to remove them, but it was all straight forward and worked fine in the end.

one thing i would definatley reccomend is to have your motherboard manual with you as you will need to connect the harddive led, power button, power button led, reset button etc to the motherboard from the new case.
m
l
February 27, 2010 10:03:26 PM

Thankfully my mobo is labled as to where to put all the led's and power buttons. :) 
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
February 28, 2010 10:24:16 AM

The manual is still very handy to have.

I forgot to suggest taking pictures. I joined the digital photo age age only about 3 years ago. I wanted to be certain that this new fangled digital stuff was going to catch on. :) 

Saudi mantra: "We fear change. Change is evil."
m
l
!