Urgent- computer making a buzzing noise!

Trumple

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
Hey guys,
Recently I upgraded my graphics card to a friends old one (a Nvidia GTX 8800) just for a little more power. Turns out I had to upgrade my PSU too, since the original one didn't have the right connector...
So anyway, about a month after that, I plugged something into the back of my PC. While I was there, I could hear a buzzing/crackling noise, which sounds electrical, a bit like if you hold a light switch between its on/off position only a bit more faint. It seems to be coming from my PSU (A Jeantech 450W)

Since Jeantech clearly arn't too popular, I am a little worried the PSU might blow up on me. I tried changing the actual power cable, but it makes no difference :pfff:

Note:
No buzzing noise when power is connected but the PSU switch is OFF!
Buzzing noise only audiable when the PC has logged in- no sounds on booting up (stress related?)
Buzzing only heard once a while back, and again now
Does not seem to change if I plug in more devices eg. charge Ipod

I don't really have the money for a new PSU at the moment

Please, any help would be appreciated!

Are you absolutely sure that the buzz is from the PSU and not from the video card or the motherboard?

If it's the PSU, them it could be caused by coil buzz. A leaking capacitor could also cause a buzz, but it probably would be constant. If you can't afford a better PSU, then you'll have to live with it.

Trumple

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009

Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm 90% sure its the PSU, since thats where it seems to be coming from and i have no other way to determine if it is infact the PSU

It does sound a bit like a vibration come to think of it...like a vibration/crackle more than a buzz I guess

Does that help a bit more?
Thanks

darklink5510

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Well I know a friend who has a computer and makes a very loud buzzing/vibrations sound. After we did close inspection it turn turned out to be some of the parts had gotton loose over the the period of 5 years (imagine that) and we fixed that with tightening then back up, seemed to make our problem go away. Maybe the same problem with you?

Trumple

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009

Thanks for the sugguestion.
Unfortunately i'm not so good with the hardware side of computers, so I doubt i'm able to do that.
I may take out the PSU and have a look at it to see if I could..
However the PSU is something like 4 months old? I doubt its shaken itself apart in that time :na: