[New System Build] Advice on Antec case

aussie123

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Sometime around Christmas (within a week)

BUDGET RANGE: $1500AUD

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Basic University and School Tasks (i.e Internet, Word, Powerpoint etc)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse and maybe OS (Not sure to upgrade from XP to Windows 7)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: http://www.umart.com.au/newindex2.phtml?bid=5

PARTS PREFERENCES: Parts that I plan on getting are:
CPU Intel Core i5 750 2.66ghz Quad LGA1156
MoBo ASUS S1156 P7P55D Pro Core i5
RAM DDR3 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mHz PC12800 CL8 (4GBRM)
HDD Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Video Card Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD5770 1GB PCIe
Case Antec Nine Hundred 2 Black Case (No PS) or Antec 600 or Antec 300
PSU Antec TruePower 650W TP-650
Optical Drive LiteOn 24x DVD Writer SATA Black
Monitor Samsung 2233SW+ 21.5"

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe in the future

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1600x900

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Any improvements? Advice regarding which Antec case I should get?

Solution
If your budget permits, I would stay with the Antec 902 or go with the 300. I'm not a fan of the looks of either the Antec 200 or 600. I would go with Win7 Home 64-bit as the min. OS for any new build.

The rest of your build looks solid... IMO

tecmo34

Administrator
If your budget permits, I would stay with the Antec 902 or go with the 300. I'm not a fan of the looks of either the Antec 200 or 600. I would go with Win7 Home 64-bit as the min. OS for any new build.

The rest of your build looks solid... IMO

Solution

tecmo34

Administrator
I have not seen one without a side window. It isn't a big deal to have the window covered. If you want a similar size case to the Antec 902 without a window, look at the Cooler Master RC-690 case. It is cheaper than the Antec 902 and not much more than the Antec 300.

jsc was talking about an internal motherboard speaker, so you can here beep codes. jsc wasn't talking about your case speakers but it is good to know you didn't forget those. :)

tecmo34

Administrator
1st Question: You can not use your case speakers to hear the beep codes. The system beep codes come from the small internal speaker you attach to your motherboard by your case PWR connector.

2nd Question: It doesn't matter. Both provide the proper stability for your components. The screwless is just easier for you to work with.

aussie123

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
ok, not sure where I'll get one from.

Does the RC-690 come with air filters?

edit: Won't the 902 have better cable management?

edit 2: Found a case speaker that fits into a 5.25" bay, seems to have two molex connector.

elmonomalo

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I would highly recommend the Antec Mini P180 case if you can get it cheap and you can find a micro-atx motherboard. Newegg.com, in the U.S. has it $54.99 after rebates. I personally own one, it is the most silent case I have ever witnessed. It also runs very cool. It has a giant 200mm fan on the top of the case and a 120mm rear fan.

aussie123

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
@ techmo: the stores that I'm getting my parts from don't have the mini speaker, the 5.25" case speaker was all I could find.

@elmo : case noise isn't a big issue for me and I'm looking for future proof-ing, being able to upgrade in the future is a good thing, thanks for the input though. :S

You better spend more on your GPU than your cpu. You should go AMD and a stronger graphic card.

PII X4 955
Asus M4A78T-E
OCZ Z 650W
OCZ 4GB Platinum DDR3 1600
Radeon 5850
1TB caviar Black Western Digital
Cooler Master HAF 922 or Cosmos (standard model with HDD sound attenuation)
Sony DVD Burner

tecmo34

Administrator

If they don't have the mini speaker I linked to, don't worry about getting the speaker you have listed. It isn't the same thing and won't work. The mini speaker is only need for troubleshooting your build, so hopefully you will have no build issues. :D

@redgarl: Very solid build you put together and should be considered if the price is low enough below the i5 750 build. At the OP's resolution of 1600x900, the ATI 5770 is more than powerful enough. The ATI 5850 becomes "overkill" for that resolution. Again, your build is a good alternative to the OP's build.